Frontier Overseeder--Any Good?

/ Frontier Overseeder--Any Good? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Been looking for a grass seeder for several years and this one is up at a local auction:

Wondering if anyone is familiar with this type and/or owned one. I would like to seed into prepared as well as unprepared ground. One concern is the lack of any type of soil firming device such as a roller behind the seed drop. What do you guys and gals think?

This is a Frontier OS-1060-M and not finding a lot of info online.

Attachments

• FRONTIER-OS-1060M-2.jpg
    FRONTIER-OS-1060M-2.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 134
  • FRONTIER-OS-1060M-1.jpg
    FRONTIER-OS-1060M-1.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 116
   / Frontier Overseeder--Any Good? #2  
npalen - I agree, information is hard to come by. An overseeder is the only way to go. It needs to be heavy, but I couldn't find the weight. Based on the unit I've used unsuccessfully, I think you need 125 lbs a foot, and a tractor that can handle the weight. I believe the unit under consideration is 5 foot, sells at auction for $2500 - 3,000. Many units for sale, indicate only a few number of times of use (like 3, or 7), which tells me that after the lawn or pasture is amended to some degree of satisfaction, the user stops using the overseeder.
There really needs to be a roller behind the seed drop. Lost ? Maybe you can make up for it with a drum roller. Those aren't expensive, but then, there is the time to go over the field again - unless you can rig it to tow behind the overseeder.

/ Frontier Overseeder--Any Good?
Yes, can always drum roll. Some folks don't worry about packing but I think one needs good seed to soil contact for best germination.

/ Frontier Overseeder--Any Good? #4  
I've never saw one like that. Are the front gangs adjustable?

I've never saw one like that. Are the front gangs adjustable?
Yes the front gangs are adjustable angle to change the level of aggressiveness, I guess. Looks like they would help settle the soil and break clods in tilled conditions while loosening up the soil in unprepared conditions.

/ Frontier Overseeder--Any Good? #8  
I read somewhere that grass seed should only be buried to a depth of 150% of it's length.

I've done considerable seeding over the past 5-6 years. My failures have been when I buried the seed to the point of only seeing a small percentage uncovered. In situations where I left a large majority uncovered I've had great success. I finish with a cultipacker.

My larger farmer friend says "Mother Nature doesn't use a tiller". :)

/ Frontier Overseeder--Any Good? #9  
I read somewhere that grass seed should only be buried to a depth of 150% of it's length.

I've done considerable seeding over the past 5-6 years. My failures have been when I buried the seed to the point of only seeing a small percentage uncovered. In situations where I left a large majority uncovered I've had great success. I finish with a cultipacker.

My larger farmer friend says "Mother Nature doesn't use a tiller". :)
Yep. Grass managed just fine for millions of years. Let’s say that you DO get a little better germination with a seeder. How much more seed can you buy for the cost and maintenance of a seeder? I just wait until there is rain in the forecast then mow and over seed.

Last edited:
I was guessing that the Frontier seeder above would bring $2500 to $3000 as that is what seeders have been bringing at this auction the last couple years. It went for $4000. A sign of the times?