Traction front wheel traction

/ front wheel traction #11  
165 lbs. doesn't sound like a whole lot to me - not that I know anything about front-end weight capacities. Wouldn't a FEL be a lot more weight than that? Anyone using more than 165lbs on a Ford 1700-series tractor?

/ front wheel traction #12  
There was a post quite some time back about 4 wheel drive vs. 4 wheel assist vs some other style. If I remember correctly, it implied that some systems might not be able to spin the front wheels. I'll see if I can find it.

/ front wheel traction #13  
There was a post quite some time back about 4 wheel drive vs. 4 wheel assist vs some other style. If I remember correctly, it implied that some systems might not be able to spin the front wheels. I'll see if I can find it.
Any purely mechanical system should be able to spin the front wheels. If they arent capable of doing it they break unless there is an overload protection built into the front wheel drive mechanism. [Anyone know of something like this??] In the lower gears, tremendous torque loading can be put on the front drive of a loader equipped tractor since loader lift adds to front traction. Its good when a manufacturer adds significant [enuf] safety factor to the front drive to prevent failure when almost all engine power is driving the fronts because the loader is causing almost all weight to be supported by them.
larry

/ front wheel traction #14  
If you have a box blade (you might be able to use your loader) drop it down with the teeth dug in. Pull it in 2wd and try it again in 4wd.

I can tell a heck of a difference between the two. There will be no question if it is working right.

If I remember right, you increase drawbar horse power by 30 percent with front wheel assist.

/ front wheel traction #15  
Ford front wheel weights weigh 33 lbs each, I have 3 on my 1700 and that works great to hold the front down with rear implements of either a box blade or 5' tiller. My tractor also has the rear tires filled with calcium and I can pull a load of gravel up a 30% incline with a 5' box. I have the original owners manual and a store brochure that shown what impliments can be used (recommended by Ford-New Holland) with the complete series of 1710 tractors and all the 10 series sizes 1110 to 1910. If anyone here needs some of this info I will be happy to either post it here or email it.

/ front wheel traction
Well, heres what I did. Put the transmission in gear, engaged the FWD selector and jacked up one of the front wheels. I could freely spin the front wheel. It was stated that I should not be able to do this with the FWD engaged. So it appears that somewhere, my FWD is not working properly. I need to spend a little more time troubleshooting. This weekend, I am going to jack both front wheels off the ground and turn the drive shaft by hand to see if the wheels turn. This may help me pin point whether something in the frond diff. is broken, or whether something in the rear case in not fully engaging. Has anybody dealt with these areas?

/ front wheel traction #17  
As long as you only had one front wheel in the air and the other was on the ground and it would spin, then you are not in 4wd.

If you had both wheels in the air you can spin a wheel freely, however the other front will spin backwards due to the spiders in the open differential.

/ front wheel traction #18  
You can't turn the drive shaft by hand because it is not exposed. It has a metal tube over it.
Bill

/ front wheel traction
There is one section of the cover that is a two piece unit. I can take that off and get to the drive shaft, I think. It will only expose several inches, but hopefully I can get a grip on it.