Traction front wheel traction

/ front wheel traction #1  

wv1720

Tractor
Ford 1720
I am wondering how much traction/pull I should get from the front wheels of my 1720. When I backed up an incline, the back wheels broke traction, it didn't seem like the front wheels were doing much. When I wend forward up the same incline, it seemed like they were pulling a little, but I didn't see any tire slippage like they were pulling much. How can I test how much they are pulling?

/ front wheel traction #2  
back up the incline in 2wd:)

/ front wheel traction #3  
on my tc 30 the front wheels don't do much. i think because they're light and skinny. but they do help you out of a jam. honestly though without the bucket attached and using it to push or pull myself out i would be stuck an aweful lot.

/ front wheel traction #4  
It always seemed that when backing up an incline, my fronts were doing a lot. I always assumed this was because in backing up I'm putting the center of gavity more over the front wheels than otherwise (in going forward) would be the case. I've had both a 1720 and TC40D and don't think I noticed much difference in either case.

Going forward up an incline, I often notice my fronts slipping as the center of gravity is now further back. I probably need even more weight up-front than I have.

Do you have a FEL or front-end or front-wheel weights?

/ front wheel traction
I do not have a FEL or front weights, although I do need to add weight. When I was backing up and the back wheels broke traction, I was looking at the fronts expecting them to spin also, they didn't. And the same when going up forward, it was the same, no spinning of the front wheels. I guess I need to check to make sure the four wheel drive is engaging fully. I pull up on the selector under the seat till it stops, but maybe there is an adjustment somewhere. Is there a good way to test to see if the front drive is working properly?

/ front wheel traction #6  
Braking. You can probably lock your rears alone in 2wd on gravel or grass. In 4wd, if you have enuf braking power all wheels will stop. Even if you cant lock em in 4wd you should at least feel a big difference in how fast you stop.
larry

/ front wheel traction #7  
Jack up one front wheel, put the tractor in 4x4 and see if you can turn the wheel by hand. If the wheel turns your 4x4 isn't working.At least one front wheel should spin when the rears do. Did you recently purchace this tractor.
Bill

Last edited:
   / front wheel traction #8  
How much weight are others putting on the front of a 4WD 1720? Do suitcase weights fit on the stock front bracket or is a separate weight bracket needed? After we got our 1720 going this weekend thanks to folks helping out here, it was all too ready to pop a wheelie anytime I went up even a modest grade with any attachment on the rear. I noticed the front wheels would spin, so I think the 4wd must be engaging, but they're not much help when they're in the air.

/ front wheel traction #9  
I had 5 suitcase weights mounted on the stock bar out front. It had five holes already drilled, so it was really easy. I believe my manual said you could put up to 165 lbs there. I don't recall how heavy each was, but they had to be in the 20-30 lb range. I even recall pounding on the outer wings of the bracket to bend them slightly forward so that when I put the outermost weights on each side and tightened them up, they would be nice and tight and not leave gaps for brush to get stuck in.

/ front wheel traction
ng5783, the suitcase weights bolt right to the front "bumper". I do not have any, yet, but I do need to get some weight. Might even try to make some kind of weight box to mount on the front.

Kind of scary going up an incline with the front wheels in the air isn't it!?