Ballast Front weights with loader removed?

/ Front weights with loader removed? #1  

msengstock

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD X728
What the rule of thumb on this - when I take the loader off of my x728 and drop the ballast box or boxblade in the garage and go cut the grass, should I throw a few suitcase weights on the front becuase I have rear wheel weights on? (I forget how much weight, but there is one large and 2 smaller ones on each wheel)

The ride can be a bit bouncy, but really only in areas of the lawn that I know I need to repair/even out/fill holes from damage by heavy equipment (tree trucks, mini excavators, etc).

/ Front weights with loader removed? #2  
I would not. The only reason to put weight on would be for steering? Rear weights alone will not hurt anything. Is this very hilly mowing?

/ Front weights with loader removed?
Thanks, there is one hill that I have to go up and down about 20 times to cut that area - which incidentally is where all of the heavy machine damage is.

I don't notice any problems with steering control, just the bouncing which is probably all of the bumps from the damage. It's much better when I use cruise control because my foot isn't losing/gaining pressure on the pedal when hitting the damaged areas.

Last edited:
   / Front weights with loader removed?
One thing that dawned on me - the manual says to inflate the front tires to 22psi when there is a loader or other implement attached to the front whereas the pressure without is 10-14psi in the manual. I'm thinking the added pressure is what it giving it a bouce without the weight of the loader on it.

/ Front weights with loader removed? #5  
That probably would contribute to it.