Front end loader PSI check!

/ Front end loader PSI check! #1  

moored4

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N
I was out hauling my tractor from one job site to another and was near the dealer so I stopped by to visit and pick up some lynch pins. So in conversation I mentioned that I had gotten stuck a few days before and was unable to get out by using my loader! The bucket would not curl and pick the front end up out of the mud. So they went out and put a gauge on the hydraulics and found that I was barely at the low limit for PSI. Long story short they fixed it for me by adding adjustment washers to the relive valve! Now I am 75 psi over the recommended top limit! After the warranty is out I'll go and raise it to 5% above top limit and still have plenty of safety margin left!
On a lot of these loaders I was told that the factory sets the psi at the lower limits and it is worthwhile to have them checked! Might help you out of a stuck spot sometime!

/ Front end loader PSI check! #2  
If you know what the pumps max psi is, then you should set the relief to 50 to 100 psi below the pump max pressure.

/ Front end loader PSI check!
JJ I have a l3540 I can get the max psi of the pump info. but I dont know what the arms and front end are engineered for? I know that they use this loader on 2 larger machines than mine with larger load limites so I would be safe doing that except the stress on the front end limite I don't know how much I can push those! All I want to do is to be able to curel the bucket to full dump and then pick the frount end up and then curel forward! (to get unstuck out of mud).

/ Front end loader PSI check! #4  
I believe the engineering for the tractor considered all the parts, strength and shape of the metal to with stand the load that would be placed on them.

So in essence they computed the size of the pump, type valve, bucket weight, and so-forth.

Most any hyd are set up to use the most that one can get out of a hyd system.

The relief is a safety factor to protect the pump.

To protect the pump, you need to set the relief pressure to relieve before the pressure equals or exceeds the pump destruction pressure.

Most tractor system are set 50 to 100 psi below the max pump pressure. If you find that the pressure is low on your system, I believe your manual will tell you how to set it. Some people like to max out the pressure to get all they can out of the hyd system.

If your tractor is in warranty, I would set it below the max pressure as stated in your manual.

You should be able to lift the load specified for the loader, if the hyd are set up correctly.

/ Front end loader PSI check! #5  
Some more data for you.

According to the specs, you should be able to lift 1,021 lbs to max height.

Loader:
Loader type: Kubota LA514
Height (to pin): 96.4 inches [244 cm]
Dump clearance: 78.2 inches [198 cm]
Dump reach: 23.3 inches [59 cm]
Dump angle: 41
Reach at ground: 61.7 inches [156 cm]
Rollback angle: 30
Breakout force (at 500mm): 2,835 lbs [1285 kg]
Lift to full height (at pin): 1,351 lbs [612 kg]
Lift to full height (at 500mm): 1,021 lbs [463 kg]
Bucket width: 66 inches [167 cm]
Attachment style: J2513 Quick-Coupler (optional)
Raise time to height: 2.7 s
Bucket dump time: 1.3 s
Lowering time: 2.2 s
Rollback time: 1.6 s

/ Front end loader PSI check! #6  
If you know what the pumps max psi is, then you should set the relief to 50 to 100 psi below the pump max pressure.

J J, I have seen your posts stating to install a gauge on a hydraulic line to check psi. I never wanted to get into it but now I do.
My FEL has a wimpy spot while attempting to push back out of a stuck spot.
Could you please explain the most advantages place to install this gauge. It's something I would most likely leave on the tractor.

/ Front end loader PSI check! #7  
All I want to do is to be able to curel the bucket to full dump and then pick the frount end up and then curel forward! (to get unstuck out of mud).

Same issue here. If I place the bottom of the bucket at verticle as opposed to full dump it will pick my machine up and move it backward. Full dump position, forget it.

/ Front end loader PSI check! #8  
I would install the hyd gage in the FEL IN port using a tee for a permanant place to monitor the gage as you use any implement hydraulics.

You could also install male QD at specific locations, and just plug in your gage when you need to see the pressures.

Attachments

• !HYD  GAGE QD.jpg
    !HYD GAGE QD.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 390
  • !Hyd test set.JPG
    !Hyd test set.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 327
   / Front end loader PSI check! #9  
Same issue here. If I place the bottom of the bucket at verticle as opposed to full dump it will pick my machine up and move it backward. Full dump position, forget it.

Have you considered the fact that you might be going into regen, and the force using regen is much less.

Some FEL valves are using regen as soon as they move the FEL lever to the right, and others go into regen when they push the lever to the far right, past the soft stop.

Try moving the lever about 1/2 travel, and then try it to the far fight.

Just about any tractor should be able to raise the front end off the ground, but not with regen.

/ Front end loader PSI check!
JJ I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner but was out getting some much needed Seat Time!! :cool2: When I was at the dealer, who is also a friend, we did check the psi and it was 20# below low limit. We adjusted it so it is 75# above the high limit and when it goes out of warranty then we will bump it up some more but not to the max cause this model loader and cylinder combo is used on 2 more bigger units than mine. He is looking into the design limits of the front end and that is what will determine where we set the psi. I want to pick the world but not at the expense of tearing up my front end! :) Thanks again JJ for all the help!

You are The Ultimate Hydraulic Man! ;)

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
Fence Panel (A33041)
Fence Panel (A33041)
Ford 4000 (A33526)
Ford 4000 (A33526)
Krause PT Chisel Plow (A33041)
Krause PT Chisel...
2016 Ford F-550 Ext Cab Emergency Truck (A32932)
2016 Ford F-550...