Snow Equipment Buying/Pricing Front Blower vs. Rear

/ Front Blower vs. Rear #1  

jdandme

Tractor
4100 , X758
I've got a newer x758 and an older 4100 gear. We just got blasted with over 3' of snow and I'm considering getting a snow blower for one of these tractors. Any thoughts about prices, setups and performance differences?
Thanks,
Kenny

/ Front Blower vs. Rear #2  
If you want to, got to, need to, must have a snowblower after a big snowstorm in December your choice will be determined by what is available with little regard to price, set-up, or performance. I suggest you head on over to the "Snow Removal" section of the forum and start studying. There is probably enough there to keep your busy till July which, in my mind, is a better time to buy a snowblower.

/ Front Blower vs. Rear #4  
I have used front, frame mounted plows on tractors for the better part of 50 years before moving south. About 10 years ago I bought a 3pt blower in a fit of rage right after a big snow. It was very handy to have when a major snow came along, I'm glad I bought it. But the front plow was the main tool for the majority of snowstorms. There were several years the blower was not used. In my opinion I would not make the substantially higher investment for a front mount blower and have to sacrifice the speed and simplicity of a front mount plow. I had a 1/4 mile gravel driveway and my plowing speed was far faster than I could ever run with a blower (in either direction) and keep it in one piece. There were times I plowed the driveway then came back and blew the banks back to have room for succeeding storms. Two fast passes with the plow and one slow pass with the blower was faster than 3 passes with the blower and the end product was pretty much the same.

/ Front Blower vs. Rear #5  
I have a Pronovost Puma 64" rear blower. Works great. Cleared 12" of snow with it today.

That said, if money were no object and I had a mid mount PTO on my tractor, I would get a front mount snowblower for sure. Easier to use and much easier on the neck! But much more expensive.

/ Front Blower vs. Rear #6  
One interesting observation I've done on front vs rear blowers is that front blowers no matter the make seems to be a little slower if using a mid 2k rpm PTO? While one using 540 rear seems to don't care as much whether it is a rear facing or inverted? Mid PTO front mounted snowblowers seems to bog don much sooner if you go too fast.

/ Front Blower vs. Rear #7  
One interesting observation I've done on front vs rear blowers is that front blowers no matter the make seems to be a little slower if using a mid 2k rpm PTO? While one using 540 rear seems to don't care as much whether it is a rear facing or inverted? Mid PTO front mounted snowblowers seems to bog don much sooner if you go too fast.

As long as the blower was geared to accommodate the input speed what difference does it make?

/ Front Blower vs. Rear #8  
I have used front, frame mounted plows on tractors for the better part of 50 years before moving south. About 10 years ago I bought a 3pt blower in a fit of rage right after a big snow. It was very handy to have when a major snow came along, I'm glad I bought it. But the front plow was the main tool for the majority of snowstorms. There were several years the blower was not used. In my opinion I would not make the substantially higher investment for a front mount blower and have to sacrifice the speed and simplicity of a front mount plow. I had a 1/4 mile gravel driveway and my plowing speed was far faster than I could ever run with a blower (in either direction) and keep it in one piece. There were times I plowed the driveway then came back and blew the banks back to have room for succeeding storms. Two fast passes with the plow and one slow pass with the blower was faster than 3 passes with the blower and the end product was pretty much the same.
True, but it really depends on the weight and depth of the snow. A smaller tractor, like the OP's 4100, isn't going to push much snow, even with MFWD and chains. With the storm we got yesterday, a blower is the only method, unless one get's out multiple times during the storm...and the drive way is going to get narrower and narrower each time he plows.
Like you, I have both a front blade and rear blower...and many (what I call nuisance) snows, the blade is quite adequate...but it wasn't for the storm we just got

4052 Snow Machine.jpg

I'd rather have a front blower, but to add one to my 4052 would cost >$10K unless I was lucky enough to find a good deal on a used one. No mid-PTO, so I'd have to go with a rear PTO driven, or preferably, a hydraulic driven blower.

/ Front Blower vs. Rear #9  
I went through the same process several years ago, and ultimately went with a 3 pt blower. I did not want to give up the use of the FEL and the cost savings from a front mount was a factor as well. Most storms I use my rear grader blade with excellent results on a lengthy gravel driveway, but when the big snow comes(like yesterday) the blower shines. I have also used the blower to tame the berms after a number of smaller storms handled by the blade. Mine is a Pronovost and it has worked flawlessly. Good luck on your decision.

/ Front Blower vs. Rear #10  
True, but it really depends on the weight and depth of the snow. A smaller tractor, like the OP's 4100, isn't going to push much snow, even with MFWD and chains. With the storm we got yesterday, a blower is the only method, unless one get's out multiple times during the storm...and the drive way is going to get narrower and narrower each time he plows.
Like you, I have both a front blade and rear blower...and many (what I call nuisance) snows, the blade is quite adequate...but it wasn't for the storm we just got

View attachment 680141

I'd rather have a front blower, but to add one to my 4052 would cost >$10K unless I was lucky enough to find a good deal on a used one. No mid-PTO, so I'd have to go with a rear PTO driven, or preferably, a hydraulic driven blower.

Obviously this week's Northeast storm would be one of those times where the blower would see use if I were still in Dutchess County NY. I really didn't think it was necessary to point that out.