Front axle seal leak JD 4700

/ Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #11  
Why does JD recommend this low viscosity HyGuard when most of the rest of the world puts heavy gear lube in rear ends and other kinds of gear boxes?

/ Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #12  
Why does JD recommend this low viscosity HyGuard when most of the rest of the world puts heavy gear lube in rear ends and other kinds of gear boxes?
Because you only need two types of oil. Motor oil and transmisdion/gear oil.

/ Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #13  
   / Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #14  

Most tractors have the hydraulic system and the transmission/rear axle combined in the same case/compartment, so that is the spec. You do need to use "Hydraulic/Tractor" fluid in them not plain hydraulic fluid. Hydraulic fluid is for hydraulic systems only. Most tractors spec their own fluid such as JD's Hy-Gard. I use the premium universal Hydraulic/Tractor fluid, it meets the spec.

My JD's do spec GL5 gear oil for the front axle.

/ Front axle seal leak JD 4700
Most tractors have the hydraulic system and the transmission/rear axle combined in the same case/compartment, so that is the spec. You do need to use "Hydraulic/Tractor" fluid in them not plain hydraulic fluid. Hydraulic fluid is for hydraulic systems only. Most tractors spec their own fluid such as JD's Hy-Gard. I use the premium universal Hydraulic/Tractor fluid, it meets the spec.

My JD's do spec GL5 gear oil for the front axle.
Now I wonder if my breather is clogged.

Last edited:
   / Front axle seal leak JD 4700
   / Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #19  
Did you ever find your breather? I have a 4320 with the same part number per the online parts book but I don't see it on the axle at all.

I found this on "Green Tractor Talk forum, he says they don't have a vent.

Front spindle seals on 1025R leaking. Vent needed?

Last edited:
   / Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #20  
Do you have the service tech manual for your 4700? Do a search on TBN, as there have (over the years) been threads addressing the seals in these Deere models.

One help, if not too late, is to loosen the filler plug so the front axle vents some pressure caused when the fluid heats and expands. That solved some leakage in my 4300 and has stopped. Still full of oil too.
That has worked for me on my 4600 as well.