Front axle seal leak JD 4700

/ Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #1  

helpfulbook

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4700 Woods Backhoe 750, 460 Loader, Woodmaxx SB-72
HI, guys the front seals are leaking on my JD 4700 4x4. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how long of a job it would be to replace them? And do I need any special tools to complete the job?

Guys thanks for your help!

/ Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #2  
Do you have the service tech manual for your 4700? Do a search on TBN, as there have (over the years) been threads addressing the seals in these Deere models.

One help, if not too late, is to loosen the filler plug so the front axle vents some pressure caused when the fluid heats and expands. That solved some leakage in my 4300 and has stopped. Still full of oil too.

/ Front axle seal leak JD 4700
Thank you for the reply! Yes I do have the service manual. But I was not aware of the front axle vents.
Do you know where I can locate the vents?

/ Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #4  
I had a similar oil leak in my tractor, posted about it couple of years ago and added a vent:

Ford 1310 Front Axle - Type of Oil

I did switch the front axle from Ford 134 spec universal hydraulic oil to 85W-90 gear oil awhile ago - it's been well over two years and the axle seals are still the same and there has been no leaking at all since vent installation!

Last edited:
   / Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #5  
Thank you for the reply! Yes I do have the service manual. But I was not aware of the front axle vents.
Do you know where I can locate the vents?
The filler plug (dip stick) is what I leave loose.

I had a similar oil leak in my tractor, posted about it couple of years ago and added a vent:

Ford 1310 Front Axle - Type of Oil

I did switch the front axle from Ford 134 spec universal hydraulic oil to 85W-90 gear oil awhile ago - it's been well over two years and the axle seals are still the same and there has been no leaking at all since vent installation!
Thank you for the reply! So I should switch from my JD Hy-guard oil to 85W-90W because of it being thicker?
Do you recommend a certain brand?

The filler plug (dip stick) is what I leave loose.
I will give that a try along with adding the heavier gear oil.
Thank you,
George

/ Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #8  
Thank you for the reply! So I should switch from my JD Hy-guard oil to 85W-90W because of it being thicker?
Do you recommend a certain brand?

All I am saying switching to 85W-90 GL4 gear oil & adding a homemade dipstick with a JD vent (as seen in the post referred earlier) and the leak has stopped.

Double checked earlier today and no leaks!

/ Front axle seal leak JD 4700 #9  
Just vent, leave fluid alone and see if the venting works first.

Just vent, leave fluid alone and see if the venting works first.
Your right! That makes sense to start there. I'll clean off the area loosen the vent and keep an eye it.
Thanks for the help!