Tiller forward rotating models and reverse rotation tiller

/ forward rotating models and reverse rotation tiller #1  

Big Hammer

Bronze Member
So I’m researching the local market for a 48” tiller for my B2650 and I’m evaluating the differences between the forward rotating models and the reverse rotation and I’m having trouble in deciding…

I kept thinking “why don’t they make a tiller that give you the option of choosing the direction at will? Then, lo and behold I came across the King Kutter and reading their specs, it says “forward and reverse rotation“. Is this accurate? No one else seems to offer this feature.

Made in the US, about 560 pounds, do any of you have any experience with this brand of tiller? Pro’s and cons?

Thanks all!
68338C3D-8FE7-4B88-B47A-DD6400D6C64C.png

/ forward rotating models and reverse rotation tiller
In more than 2,000 acres of tilling I never even one time wished I had a reverse tine tiller!

SR
Interesting, thanks for your reply. Curious about your reply though. Do you till the same areas every year? Or are you breaking up new ground? I understood that’s where the reverse rotation has the advantage.

/ forward rotating models and reverse rotation tiller #4  
I do custom tilling, so I do both, repeat jobs and new ones.

I've reclaimed many many pastures and if you learn how to properly use your tiller and it's a decent tiller in the first place, breaking new ground is no problem at all.

SR

/ forward rotating models and reverse rotation tiller #5  
Interesting, thanks for your reply. Curious about your reply though. Do you till the same areas every year? Or are you breaking up new ground? I understood that’s where the reverse rotation has the advantage.
It’s a huge advantage to have a reverse rotation tiller on hard ground….if you’re using a walk behind tiller. I’ve never used or needed a reverse rotation tiller on a pto driven tractor mounted unit. And I have tilled some hard never tilled ground.

/ forward rotating models and reverse rotation tiller #6  
If you like digging rocks out of a tiller then
get the reverse

willy

/ forward rotating models and reverse rotation tiller #7  
My dad bought a new King Kutter rotary tiller, I forget the year but its right around a 2000 era. Unsure if it is reverse or forward rotation, but it has been very reliable. Not long after he got it, the tractor was traded in for a much larger replacement, he kept the King Kutter and it does not mind more hp. One really nice feature is it is all gear drive, no chain like the previous John Deere rotary tiller.

/ forward rotating models and reverse rotation tiller #8  
I kept thinking “why don’t they make a tiller that give you the option of choosing the direction at will? Then, lo and behold I came across the King Kutter and reading their specs, it says “forward and reverse rotation“.
Not exactly at will, but is doable. You have to unbolt and reverse the tines, then disassemble and reverse the gearbox. page 14-15

/ forward rotating models and reverse rotation tiller #9  
I have a Troy Bilt Horse. It's forward rotating. I've used it to break virgin ground. It works just fine. I bought this in 1982. Still works great. I've replaced the tines and the reverse pulley. Otherwise - gas up and go.

I have 80 acres here. From a tilling standpoint - it's all virgin ground.

/ forward rotating models and reverse rotation tiller #10  
I have a 48” Land Pride reverse tiller on my little BX23S. I use it to till an acre. Seems to do the trick.