Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #11  
Not the ones that go into the freeze plug holes.
Kat's

Ruffdog is correct. The simple block heaters in most pickup trucks and small tractors that go in freeze plugs or small threaded bosses do not have thermostats. Kim HotStart does make a block heater with thermostat, but it is inline tank style (perculators). You can buy these at different settings, we normally used on at 80F off at 100F. They also make a thread in oil pan / hydraulic heater, 110 or 220 plug, then it will have a heating element, and a separate thermostat, that will thread into a hole adjacent and higher than the heating element. Again, we normally used on at 80F off at 100F. Philip.

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #12  
I left mine plugged in for the last two weeks. It is a Kubota OEM on my BX25. And this morning it was -37°, so… I forgot to plug it in last night! Better go out and do it now.

By the way, does anyone know if this particular brand is thermostatically controlled?

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #13  
I do not have a block heater on my tractors, and make every effort to not even try to start them unless absolutely necessary once the temp drops below 20ー or so. If i have to start them, a heat lamp under the pan for a few hours first helps.

My trucks have factory block heaters, I keep them plugged in 24/7 once the temperature gets down to the 30's, 40's for my dually as it's in dire need of glow plugs! The heaters on my trucks are 1000 watt rated, actual draw is 8.5 to 9 amps.

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #15  
The vast majority of frostplug heaters do not. In fact the only reason I don't say none do is because somewhere out there.......................

Opp's, I better make a retraction!

I'll concede.:eek::eek::):D

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #16  
........at this point I'm going to conclude that leaving the block heater plugged in for a few days didn't change anything at all. At our winter temps the water jacket and connected parts can radiate more heat than the little block heater can provide.
Exactly - the heater only brings the temperature of the block up to where the driving "delta T" produces a stable heat-in/heat-out balance. The block temperature isn't a lot higher, but it's enough to do the trick. Oil viscosity and cranking resistance drop quickly as block temperature rises. Raising it 30 degrees makes a big difference even though it isn't "warm" to the touch.

Last edited:
   / Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #17  
I thought this thread was going to be about some guy who plugged in a block heater and drove away without unplugging it. He ripped out the radiator, spilled all the antifreeze, electrocuted the dog, pulled the 440v panel off the wall, started the barn on fire and then had to listen to his wife complaining abut being stuck in the driveway while on her way to the beauty salon because he didn't plow it. So, he shot her and her boyfriend...

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #18  
I thought this thread was going to be about some guy who plugged in a block heater and drove away without unplugging it. He ripped out the radiator, spilled all the antifreeze, electrocuted the dog, pulled the 440v panel off the wall, started the barn on fire and then had to listen to his wife complaining abut being stuck in the driveway while on her way to the beauty salon because he didn't plow it. So, he shot her and her boyfriend...

Uhhhh... The beginning of this post is pretty funny, the end, not so much.

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #19  
That's 3 minutes of my life I'll never got back.....most heavy equipment gets plugged in 24/7 from November til April in snow belts...EMS/Fire trucks are all plugged in 24/7/365! They need to be able to fire and go to full load quickly...

Hopefully you didn't intend it but this comes off to me as being a real di**k.

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #20  
I worry about attracting rodents with the heat. Reasonable concern or not?