Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Did you ever do that? And wonder what - if anything - happened? Well, me too. And it happened to me - again - last week. Temps here were 15 to 30F daytime and 0/15F at night. Some wind coupled with a couple feet of snow. Yep, it's winter.

I plumb forgot that I'd plugged in the M59 block heater.....ended up using the JD with a cab for pushing snow around instead. So the M59 block heater had been on for 4 or 5 days before I remembered it one slightly warmer afternoon. This is the the typical OEM water jacket heater that screws into the side of the block and heats the water in much the same way as a HWH does at home.

Of course my first thought was, "What luck! Now here we have just done a pretty good experiment that I'd never have had the courage to run on purpose. I wonder what has happened?".... well, maybe that wasn't my very first thought, but some likewise words to that effect.....

So it wasn't without some worry that I began checking things. Outside temp about 20F and a light wind with blowing snow. Didn't know what was to be found and feeling more than a little foolish. First I checked the amp draw on the factory block heater. Still at at the same number it was when I plugged it in = 7.32 amps. That puts the block heater somewhere in the 700 to 800 watt range and is pretty typical. It must be a common design; my other tractors run within 10% of that same number. Since there's no thermostat on a block heater, we now know it is still heating away and has been doin so at the same rate for at least the last 4 or 5 days now. The operating time alone shouldn't have hurt the block heater. They are good for a long, long time. A bit of quick mental arithmetic says we'd used up most of a ten dollar bill in electricity. Hopefully that's the worst that the worst that's happened.

Next I turned on the ig key to read the instrument gauges but no luck there; the gauges are digital version of analog type and they didn't stir off the "peg".
So either we're looking at water temperature and the sensor gauge doesn't go very low, or the gauge is measuring oil temperature and same story....although for oil temp I really wouldn't have expected that to change much just heating the water in the water jacket. So...so far, not much info...but at least nothing bad.

Then I cleaned off the hood, opened it up, and felt of the radiator hoses...well, the water hoses are a little bit warmer than the surrounding rubber parts and air hoses....but not enough to really notice. Same for the block itself. That surprised me. I'd have expected something to be noticibly warm. But truth is that I wouldn't have noticed any warmth at all if not looking for it. Next thing was to open the radiator cap and visually check/feel the cooling water. Darn! :) again nothing. Water level unchanged and yes, it's a little warmer on my finger tip than the the air outside....but certainly not very warm and very definitely nothing anyone would call hot. If it had been a bowl of soup I'd have set it back on the warmer.
A look at the oil on the dipstick also tells me nothing.

Now I start the tractor and give a listen. No problems....it sounds and works like always.

So....at this point I'm going to conclude that leaving the block heater plugged in for a few days didn't change anything at all. At our winter temps the water jacket and connected parts can radiate more heat than the little block heater can provide. The good news is that there isn't any damage. The downside is that the OEM block heater isn't doing much to help out during cold start wear on the engine and certainly not the hydraulics.
Is there a market for a more powerful engine block heater? It would probably need to include a thermostat. What about the hydraulics? Can we heat them? Sure would be nice to keep those seals and O-rings flexible.

Hmmm.....there's probably a decent little product idea in this- and free to anyone who wants it. The technology is basic & already exists. I've done some of this sort of thing, so if you do go that way my advice would be to identify something unique about your particular solution and then describe your unique solution in an application for a provisional patent. Patent law has changed to your benefit lately. Now quite inexpensive and worth the tinker's time.
Enjoy!
rScotty

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #2  
Hi rScotty, as a Canadian I grew up with everyone running out in the morning to plug in their block heater on their car in order to get it started and then running it for a half hour while they shower and have breakfast. With the better engines and oil, the use of block heaters has decreased. Where they are needed, as in Northern Ontario or the Prairies where the temps can go to -40, most people use an appliance timer to reduce their electricity bill. I have never heard of a block heater causing damage to an engine. I have heard of fires started when the cord shorts out. People put blankets over tractors or park them in the lee of the barn to make them easier to start. The next step would be into the barn itself. I have never figured out why a tractor would be easier to start parked in the lee of the barn away from the wind. Tractors don't suffer from wind chill but I will bet that many farmers swear that one parked in the lee of the barn would be easier to start. Also can say that I have never seen a thermostat on a block heater but they could be out there. Keep the grey cells working on your invention but I think most people would say that the invention is called a "garage"!

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #3  
That won't hurt a thing.

You could leave it plugged in all year.

Parking out of the wind if possible is standard winter procedure. It makes a BIG difference. Also parking so the rad isn't into the wind.

So is plugging in overnight, not just for an hour or two.

So is running 0 weight oil. In everything. Year round. 0/40 in equipment. 0/30 in vehicles. Summer only for convenience cause you don't want to come into winter with heavy oil in your equipment.

Canadians and northern prairie Americans know this stuff. Second nature. Normal procedure. Every day for months on end. And years. Some of yous would be wise to pay attention to the northern folks and stop abusing your diesels. Just get a block heater for gosh sake. And don't be afraid to use it.

Every winter there is much humming and hawing on here about this. Just get a block heater and warm your equipment up. Inline coolant heaters are ok too, I guess. Block heaters are generally more reliable in the long term.

Last edited:
   / Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #4  
Did you ever do that? And wonder what - if anything - happened? Well, me too. And it happened to me - again - last week. Temps here were 15 to 30F daytime and 0/15F at night. Some wind coupled with a couple feet of snow. Yep, it's winter. I plumb forgot that I'd plugged in the M59 block heater.....ended up using the JD with a cab for pushing snow around instead. So the M59 block heater had been on for 4 or 5 days before I remembered it one slightly warmer afternoon. This is the the typical OEM water jacket heater that screws into the side of the block and heats the water in much the same way as a HWH does at home. Of course my first thought was, "What luck! Now here we have just done a pretty good experiment that I'd never have had the courage to run on purpose. I wonder what has happened?".... well, maybe that wasn't my very first thought, but some likewise words to that effect..... So it wasn't without some worry that I began checking things. Outside temp about 20F and a light wind with blowing snow. Didn't know what was to be found and feeling more than a little foolish. First I checked the amp draw on the factory block heater. Still at at the same number it was when I plugged it in = 7.32 amps. That puts the block heater somewhere in the 700 to 800 watt range and is pretty typical. It must be a common design; my other tractors run within 10% of that same number. Since there's no thermostat on a block heater, we now know it is still heating away and has been doin so at the same rate for at least the last 4 or 5 days now. The operating time alone shouldn't have hurt the block heater. They are good for a long, long time. A bit of quick mental arithmetic says we'd used up most of a ten dollar bill in electricity. Hopefully that's the worst that the worst that's happened. Next I turned on the ig key to read the instrument gauges but no luck there; the gauges are digital version of analog type and they didn't stir off the "peg". So either we're looking at water temperature and the sensor gauge doesn't go very low, or the gauge is measuring oil temperature and same story....although for oil temp I really wouldn't have expected that to change much just heating the water in the water jacket. So...so far, not much info...but at least nothing bad. Then I cleaned off the hood, opened it up, and felt of the radiator hoses...well, the water hoses are a little bit warmer than the surrounding rubber parts and air hoses....but not enough to really notice. Same for the block itself. That surprised me. I'd have expected something to be noticibly warm. But truth is that I wouldn't have noticed any warmth at all if not looking for it. Next thing was to open the radiator cap and visually check/feel the cooling water. Darn! :) again nothing. Water level unchanged and yes, it's a little warmer on my finger tip than the the air outside....but certainly not very warm and very definitely nothing anyone would call hot. If it had been a bowl of soup I'd have set it back on the warmer. A look at the oil on the dipstick also tells me nothing. Now I start the tractor and give a listen. No problems....it sounds and works like always. So....at this point I'm going to conclude that leaving the block heater plugged in for a few days didn't change anything at all. At our winter temps the water jacket and connected parts can radiate more heat than the little block heater can provide. The good news is that there isn't any damage. The downside is that the OEM block heater isn't doing much to help out during cold start wear on the engine and certainly not the hydraulics. Is there a market for a more powerful engine block heater? It would probably need to include a thermostat. What about the hydraulics? Can we heat them? Sure would be nice to keep those seals and O-rings flexible. Hmmm.....there's probably a decent little product idea in this- and free to anyone who wants it. The technology is basic & already exists. I've done some of this sort of thing, so if you do go that way my advice would be to identify something unique about your particular solution and then describe your unique solution in an application for a provisional patent. Patent law has changed to your benefit lately. Now quite inexpensive and worth the tinker's time. Enjoy! rScotty

That's 3 minutes of my life I'll never got back.....most heavy equipment gets plugged in 24/7 from November til April in snow belts...EMS/Fire trucks are all plugged in 24/7/365! They need to be able to fire and go to full load quickly...

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #5  
Yes. Another one who knows.

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #6  
I guess the one thing I would have "felt" would be the BLOCK. That is what the block heater is suppose to heat up. Sure, the heat will be soaked up by surrounding objects under the hood and the attached castings, BUT, if you were concerned about overheating......touch the BLOCK.

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #7  
The block heaters have a built in thermostat.

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #8  
People put blankets over tractors or park them in the lee of the barn to make them easier to start. The next step would be into the barn itself. I have never figured out why a tractor would be easier to start parked in the lee of the barn away from the wind. Tractors don't suffer from wind chill but I will bet that many farmers swear that one parked in the lee of the barn would be easier to start.

When I used to trailer my tractor a lot I noticed it was not happy starting in cold weather when I arrived at my destination. Must have been due to the wind. It would fire right up to drive onto the trailer at home, but drive 15 miles down the road and it would be awful unhappy when it started to get off the trailer. I always wondered about that. Did not happen in warm weather at all, just when cold.

/ Forgot and left the block heater plugged ino #10  
Here we go again...