Ford says no to Diesel F-150

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #131  
Time will only tell what Ford will do w/ the 1/2 ton.

GM, is putting a diesel in the 2014 Cruze. 2014 Chevy Cruze: Compact Car - Fuel-Efficient Car | Chevrolet But it's only said to get 46 MPG. Now didn't the old VW 1.6L's get about 40-45MPG back in the 1980s? Yes, it'll be faster, have A/C and be clean...but still....

The manufacturers are getting tight on what rear axle ratio is available w/ what transmission and engine combo. An article I saw, the F450 has like a 4.xx ratio while the F350 has a 3.73 (I think). And you can't custom order a 1 ton w/ the deeper ratio. (I have not kept up w/ current combo's for towing). It's too bad the old US Gear "underdrive" is not available any more. Mount that behind a trans and you can lower your ratio from a 3.55 to something closer to the 4.xx area. I would love to use one on my 1 ton E350 w/ 7.3L PS (has a 3.55). Flip the switch, deep under and you can start a heavy load w/out burning the transmission or strain. When not needed, leave it in 1:1 and it stays the same....

With the prices of "new" trucks (be it gas or diesel), I'm sorry to say I'll sticking to the used truck market or keeping what I have. It may be slow, it may be old, but it's paid for.

The diesel Cruze has already been proven to get 50+ mpg.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #133  
The Cruze diesel has already been proven to get 50+ mpg easily.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #134  
I'll sticking to the used truck market or keeping what I have. It may be slow, it may be old, but it's paid for.

Right, and run the numbers on that option! I could not have said it better.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #135  
Recently I ventured into the 1 ton truck arena. Years ago I had a 3/4 ton but all I have owned recently is 1/2 ton, one Dodge and one Ford. I bought a used 2001 F350 with the V10. I knew it to be thirsty so I purchased an engine computer programmer. Running empty with the economy program loaded on a 180 mile trip at 60 mph I averaged 14.9 mpg. I bought it for way less than half what a new F150 ECO would cost. Towing my tractor around locally with a lot of start and stop and idling I am averaging 10-12. The programmer dropped the idle from 1100 to 650 rpms right off. The programmer also took into account that today's gas is 10% ethanol. I wish it used less gas, but it does the job I need it to do.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150
I just happened to think that we had diesel compact trucks in the 80's. What happened to that idea were that too efficient at the time?

Recently I ventured into the 1 ton truck arena. Years ago I had a 3/4 ton but all I have owned recently is 1/2 ton, one Dodge and one Ford. I bought a used 2001 F350 with the V10. I knew it to be thirsty so I purchased an engine computer programmer. Running empty with the economy program loaded on a 180 mile trip at 60 mph I averaged 14.9 mpg. I bought it for way less than half what a new F150 ECO would cost. Towing my tractor around locally with a lot of start and stop and idling I am averaging 10-12. The programmer dropped the idle from 1100 to 650 rpms right off. The programmer also took into account that today's gas is 10% ethanol. I wish it used less gas, but it does the job I need it to do.

14.9 is very respectable for that big of a engine.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #137  
Rumor has it that the VW Amarok TDi may be heading to Canada, but not the US. Thats pretty awesome for us if its true. Sorry guys lol. VW Amarok Pickup Heading to Canada? | AutoGuide.com News

I knew that we liked our diesels up here, but the number of canadians who prefer diesel to americans is a bit interesting. In the US its about 1% who like Diesels, in Canada 3.5%.

"While about 1% of vehicles sold in the U.S. are diesel, it's been determined that about 3.5% of Canadians buy diesel vehicles (more than hybrid and electric vehicles). This statistic is achieved with very few diesel options available (particularly in the car and light-truck market). It's estimated that 40% of VW (and 75-80% of Mercedes-Benz) customers will choose diesel when given both options. Canadian customers tend to prefer efficiency and resale value while U.S. customers continue to have a negative impression of diesel engines because of historical experiences with the technology from the 1980s. The company has indicated that they will proceed slowly to evaluate the potential market with a potential entrance coinciding with the newest model of the Amarok."

Yes please!
1006125_533150260056087_233567568_n.jpg

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150
Rumor has it that the VW Amarok TDi may be heading to Canada, but not the US. Thats pretty awesome for us if its true. Sorry guys lol. VW Amarok Pickup Heading to Canada? | AutoGuide.com News

I knew that we liked our diesels up here, but the number of canadians who prefer diesel to americans is a bit interesting. In the US its about 1% who like Diesels, in Canada 3.5%.

"While about 1% of vehicles sold in the U.S. are diesel, it's been determined that about 3.5% of Canadians buy diesel vehicles (more than hybrid and electric vehicles). This statistic is achieved with very few diesel options available (particularly in the car and light-truck market). It's estimated that 40% of VW (and 75-80% of Mercedes-Benz) customers will choose diesel when given both options. Canadian customers tend to prefer efficiency and resale value while U.S. customers continue to have a negative impression of diesel engines because of historical experiences with the technology from the 1980s. The company has indicated that they will proceed slowly to evaluate the potential market with a potential entrance coinciding with the newest model of the Amarok."

Yes please!
1006125_533150260056087_233567568_n.jpg

Is that their own truck? The cab slightly resembles a Frontier. If anybody can make a diesel work in a small truck it would be VW.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #140  
Is that their own truck? The cab slightly resembles a Frontier. If anybody can make a diesel work in a small truck it would be VW.

I understand that the truck is entirely their own. During development, they camouflaged it in Hilux sheet metal, but that was the extent of outside influence.

Side note, its also available in a stripped out model, like the Toyota pickups of old. Just a base, compact, work truck. Those old Toyotas were pretty popular on farms to get around. How many people have you heard complain that they dont make old style, cheap work trucks anymore?

2012_volkswagen_amarok_update_australia_15-0710.jpg

Also available in UTE. Nice.
amarok-29-025.jpg

Mileage wise, Small engine 2.0l, 140 hp, 4x4, 9.6l/100km city, 6.8l/100km hwy. 24.5 usmpg , 34.6usmpg

HO engine with bluemotion, 2.0l, 180hp, 4x4, 8.6l/100 city, 7.1l/100 hwy. 27.4usmpg, 33.1usmpg