Ford Car Door Locks

/ Ford Car Door Locks #1  

Roadworthy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST,
This is specific to the 2006 - 2012 Ford Fusion but probably others. I could not get into the car, button would not unlock it. The physical key in the driver door did nothing. How does one get in? The trunk has an actual mechanical lock. The back seat release is in the trunk. One must release the seats and crawl through the trunk to unlock the door. It is then possible to pop the hood. The automobile battery had died and no longer had the power to activate the solenoids. As near as I can tell the driver door key does not turn a tumbler to unlock the door, it activates a solenoid to do the job. No power = no door unlock. Somewhere along the line this must have been one of Ford's better ideas.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #2  
If you have AWD, have you had to change out your PTU/PTO yet ? Don't wait for the smell of burning diff oil. Change it immediately. Otherwise it's a 2 day job + an $800 part.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #3  
the drivers door should open with the key. if ot doesn't someone has changed the lock. the key should both open the car. and start it.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #4  
This is specific to the 2006 - 2012 Ford Fusion but probably others. I could not get into the car, button would not unlock it. The physical key in the driver door did nothing. How does one get in? The trunk has an actual mechanical lock. The back seat release is in the trunk. One must release the seats and crawl through the trunk to unlock the door. It is then possible to pop the hood. The automobile battery had died and no longer had the power to activate the solenoids. As near as I can tell the driver door key does not turn a tumbler to unlock the door, it activates a solenoid to do the job. No power = no door unlock. Somewhere along the line this must have been one of Ford's better ideas.

Back before every car had power locks, we used to hit the bellcrank inside the door mechanism to open locked car doors. Since we were mechanics and not car thieves, this was a bit of a hit-and-miss guessing game for us using several different door tools. Eventually, we got good at it because every OEM's doors pretty much work the same way. The same technique works on today's cars as well but it is way, way faster to drive in a plastic wedge along the upper winder trim, stick in an inflatable balloon made for the job, and sneak in a rod to hit the unlock button on the passenfger side.

Alternatively, God's gift from Ford on higher trim models is the button keypad that allows one to lock and unlock the car from the driver's side door.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #6  
That does sound like a poorly thought out design. I know on my F250, and wife's Prius the manual key turns a manual lock, which opens the door without battery power.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #7  
Look up a parts manual for that car. Is there an electronic solenoid from that key to anything? Or wires? I think it's mechanical to linkage, but could be mistaken.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #8  
the drivers door should open with the key. if ot doesn't someone has changed the lock. the key should both open the car. and start it.
This is what I was wondering. I had a pickup like that. The key only worked on the driver's side. One night that lock stopped working for some reason and I had to break into the truck.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #9  

Too manhy of the new cars have had that fault for many years. Get in an accident where the battery is destroyed or cable cut and just sit there. No way to unlock the door. Kick a window out is about the only recourse. Well,there is that emergency type tool that will break a window...IF IT IS TEMPERED. If laminated? nope,star it is all.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #10  
I've had a locksmith tell me a lot of times the manual key won't work. It's seized up because people don't use it regularly which makes sense. A key fob battery will last 2-3 years and if the tumblers not moving for that long it's bound to be seized. Not saying it's the case in this instance, just passing on info.