Ford Car Door Locks

/ Ford Car Door Locks
Lots of questions about my specific case. Yes, the inside door handles and lock control (mechanical) worked fine to get in and out of the car. Once I replaced the battery the driver's side door did again unlock with the key. I regularly use a key to unlock the door, anyhow, so when the key wouldn't work it was a bit of a surprise. I could have tried using a slim jim or some such to unlock the door but that's beyond my skill set. For me the better choice was to go in through the trunk. My Didge Charger has electronic locks but the key in the fob turns a mechanical lock inside the door. The same is true of my Ram pickup. My other Ford products are from the sixties so of course their locks are mechanical.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #12  
At least the battery doesn't have to work to release the hood.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #14  
In general with any brand of car or truck if you look at the door panel and there is not a manual door lock plunger it's a fully electric latch system. Most of these cannot be unlocked with a slim Jim because they don't have a mechanical connection between the latch and a plunger. If the battery is dead the only way to open the door is spread door frame open and physically operate inside latch handle. Sometimes that's challenging due to load on door latch from forcing the door. Great that they give you a break-in key, poor design if it won't work without 12v power.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #15  
Sounds like they took a page out of gooberment motors book, 2009 cadillac same issue.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #16  
Why couldn't you get some jumper cables and un lock it?

/ Ford Car Door Locks #17  
we had an old hand me down 90's Mercury sable that would "lock the doors for you". because we live in the country, we never take the keys out of our cars. So this happened once with my kids parking it and I did the wedge thing. But when it happened to me while just moving it, I added a special feature!

I drilled a hole in the roof just in line with the unlock button. Poke a wire down and presto, doors unlock. A handy pc of duck tape sealed it fine. It was junker any way....

/ Ford Car Door Locks #18  
Why couldn't you get some jumper cables and un lock it?
If he couldn't get the door open, how would he access the hood release?
we had an old hand me down 90's Mercury sable that would "lock the doors for you". because we live in the country, we never take the keys out of our cars. So this happened once with my kids parking it and I did the wedge thing. But when it happened to me while just moving it, I added a special feature!
I've heard that automakers are moving in that direction. Like you, I almost never lock my vehicles (I do take the keys most of the time though), and that would be annoying as all get out.

I did have an issue with my current ('06) Jeep where the doors would occasionally lock by themselves. Turns out the rubber piece that forms the buttons on the fob was getting really floppy and it didn't take more than a slight bump to press the lock button. I guess better that than the panic button! :ROFLMAO:

/ Ford Car Door Locks #19  
If I owned a car that had locks that would only work with 12v power, I'd be tempted to add some wiring that could be accessed without having to open the car hood or go through having to pop the doors open.

/ Ford Car Door Locks #20  
I wonder if a battery charging cord that was accessible would allow you to jump it or attach a charger to allow you to activate the power locks. My 2014 CTS-V has a key in the fob to open the trunk and then pull a cord to manually open the driver's door. Had to use it once when the battery in the fob died.