Ford 9N Rough Idle

/ Ford 9N Rough Idle #1  

jaferrio

Tractor
Ford 9N, Ford 641
1941 Ford 9N will barely idle and will not throttle up w/o backfiring. Will sometimes run OK for a few seconds, then goes back to rough idle. Cannot throttle up at all.

Ignition System:

1. Looks like a brand new distributor+coil was installed from previous owner. Tore apart, lubricated centrifugal weights that were a little sticky. Bench adjusted timing per manual (1/4" offset from hole, using continuity meter to adjust points to open at this point). Adjustment screw was approximately half-way in the adjustment zone. When installed, verified #1 plug fires at T.D.C. by slowly turning over engine by hand crank. Determined approx. TDC using a U-tube manometer connected to #1 cyliner. Also checked w/ inductive timing light when running. Could not get engine to run much faster than idle, no spark advance observed at low speeds, but couldn't rev up to check.

2. Ignition coil is new, no markings; presume this is probably a 6v coil as it has 1 ohm internal resistance. Replaced old ballast resistor w/ a new 1 ohm ballast, planning on putting another one in series, but for now we have 1 ohm in coil + 1 ohm ballast. Previous owner installed a 12v battery, was running with that OK. Not ideal as we don't think they converted to 12v, looks like they just swapped out the 6v battery with a 12v.

3. New spark plugs. Checked each plug when running using an inline spark tester; all are firing. Pulled plugs and turned engine over, all are sparking and appear blue. Autolite 216 plugs, gapped first at 0.025", then 0.020", then back to 0.025". No change.

4. All new spark plug wires: wire core.

Valve Train:
Compression check showed #2 cylinder at 95 psi, other cylinders were between 100-115 psi. So issue with #2 perhaps, didn't dig any deeper on that yet.

Fuel:

1. Adjusted carb float to 1/4" per manual. Brand new carb. Forced fuel through all ports & orifices on bench. Fuel tank was removed, running using a small gas can w/ clean fuel (ethanol free).
2. Tried swapping new carb w/ original Marvel Schebler TSX carb. No change, still rough idle, even with adjusting idle screw.
3. Adjusted idle screw (on both old & new carb), unable to run smooth, sounds like fuel starving even w/ idle screw all the way in. No happy medium rich or lean. Adjusted main as well, no change.
4. New gasket between carb & intake manifold.

Air:
Oil bath cleaner was removed during testing to eliminate possible air restriction.

Ideas: (1) condenser looks brand new but did not check. (2) sticky valve?, (3) 6v coil, 12v battery, perhaps issues with spark?

Looking for more ideas before digging deeper into engine internals.

/ Ford 9N Rough Idle #2  
Condenser is top of my list. You might also see this as burned points. Could also be worse: the cam timing is off and spark advance can be set to make it run at high rpm, just won't idle.

/ Ford 9N Rough Idle #3  
Points on a front mount distributor set at .015

/ Ford 9N Rough Idle #4  
Lately, the quality of points/condensers are not good. I helped a friend with his old ford that would hardly run. I swapped in the old parts and it was fixed.

/ Ford 9N Rough Idle #5  
Check intake gasket to head. Sometimes them old tractors a piece of gasket falls out, or blows out. The intakes crack too. I only ever had one 9n and it ran good. I think it's front distributor? I've had many 8n and the wire circle that holds distributor will short to the points and cause your problem. Check the screen above sediment bowl. If you have compression, which you do, it should run. Also if you have alcohol fuel in it, it separates and the alcohol is on the bottom. It won't run on straight alcohol properly. Drain a little out and smell it. Smells just like whiskey if it's alcohol.

/ Ford 9N Rough Idle #7  
Have you checked the fuel filter screens?

Attachments

• 3 Fuel Filters.jpg
    3 Fuel Filters.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 67
   / Ford 9N Rough Idle
Checked intake by spraying a flammable checking for cracks while running, no change. Carb is brand new, checked it for gunk, all good.

Pulled the front mount distributor, checked the condenser w/ a meter I have. It read 0.26 mF (microfarads). Changed the suspected 6 volt coil w/ a new 12v coil internally resisted to 2.5 ohms. That improved things quite a bit, idles much better, but inline ignition tester showed intermittent spark on all 4 causing it to falter. Looked at points closer, they are not aligned well, a little too high and not parallel, contacting only on the edge of the pad--typical of the today's quality, and this needs attention.

Any recommendations on a source of "good" points? Is there a quality US made set made anymore? I checked one Ford Holland dealer online listed for $100....they must be *really* good?

/ Ford 9N Rough Idle #9  
My local Napa sells Echlin Ignition, which has a good reputation.
Part #: ECH CS35 (points) about $25

Do you have a resistor installed in the wire to your coil, or are you just using the factory ballast resistor with the 12v coil?

/ Ford 9N Rough Idle
We have a new 1 ohm ballast resistor on the dash in series with the coil. The coil has an internal resistor of 2.5 ohms (measured it and it is marked as such w/ a sticker on it), so total circuit resistance is 3.5 ohms, giving about 3.4 amps to the coil when the points are closed.

Thanks for the Napa part no., will check that out!