Flail Mower Ford 917 Flail mower

/ Ford 917 Flail mower #11  
I was going to stick with rough cut blades. According to Flailmaster I can use the same rough cut blades as the Alamo/Mott mowers on my ford with the factory hangers. At least that's what the picture shows me.

Alamo/Mott built those mowers for Ford

/ Ford 917 Flail mower #12  
......................................Make sure the end of the roller is rounded otherwise it will tear open the turf when turning. I'm not even sure how I would make those rounded ends.

My first thought would be to use concentric weld reducers on the ends of a piece of pipe. It shouldn't be too hard to adapt the ends as needed for bearings. Search for "weldbend concentric reducers".

/ Ford 917 Flail mower
Those weldbend reducers are nice. That might be a helpful piece of the puzzle. If not for this project (probably will be done on a lathe), there will be one that I can use them for.

Anyone able to get me the diameter of the roller? I will attempt to measure the length needed, but I will need a diameter to start with.

/ Ford 917 Flail mower #14  
I tried to measure mine in between the rain storms.

It’s between 5 and 6 inches.

If it’s not raining tomorrow I’ll try to get it raised up and get a better measurement.

/ Ford 917 Flail mower #15  
I got the battery replaced in my tractor today, so I my 917 off the ground and the roller measurement is 5.5”.

/ Ford 917 Flail mower
I got the battery replaced in my tractor today, so I my 917 off the ground and the roller measurement is 5.5”.

Thanks! That's bigger than I thought it would be. Good thing I waited.

/ Ford 917 Flail mower #17  
I’m still searching to realize if my b2150 can run a 6’6 Ford 917. 24 hp 18 pto. Pasture cutting, Johnson and Blue Stem are the toughest I usually run over. I’m hoping to join the Flail Mower Nation

Last edited:
   / Ford 917 Flail mower #18  
KMoJo, I think you would be short on power and possibly lift height too with a B2150 and a 6'6" Ford 917.

/ Ford 917 Flail mower #19  
It will handle it, an old 8N ford can and it is rated at 24 hp, if in really heavy stuff you might need to take a half width cut but other than that if it can pick it up it will cut with it.

/ Ford 917 Flail mower #20  
I ended up getting a 60” 918L. The B2150 hst, with 18ho pto advertised, is handling it well. So now I want to try the 60” 918H, run the slightly heavier blades. There also is an extra pivot in the hanger/blades compared to the 918L