Ford 800 front weights

/ Ford 800 front weights #1  

milkie62

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800,Ford 801,MF 65, Kubota L305
When plowing and disking my 800 Ford is very light in the front end.Has anybody built anything to add a couple hundred pounds to the front end of these tractors to keep them on the ground when turning ?

/ Ford 800 front weights #2  
You can get half moon weights for the front wheels, I have a set on mine 50LBs ea, for 200 total, easy to put on or off, each held on with 2 bolts, they are still available from several tractor supply places. Also, I know there is a single weight for each side you can add on the opposite side of the half moon weights for additional weight, not sure how much those weigh but I do fine with mine and my tiller weighs about 1000lbs and it turns fine.

/ Ford 800 front weights
Wish i could find some close to me.

/ Ford 800 front weights #4  
My uncle gave me a set, he had 2, you should ask around, you might find an old farmer that still has parts for the tractor they got rid of long ago. That was the case with my uncle, not sure where you are but there were a lot of these weights made. Here is a set on ebay, way too much for the condition but these look exactly like the type I have, Ford 8N 9N 2N NAA Jubilee 600 800 3000 3600 16" Tractor Front Weight Set | eBay

/ Ford 800 front weights #5  
We found just filling the front tires helped more than expected on our 801's.

/ Ford 800 front weights
We found just filling the front tires helped more than expected on our 801's.
Thats what I have is an 801.I thought with maybe filling the tires and just bolting a chunk of steel by using the extra holes that are in the front axle.I figure I should beable to pickup 150-200 lbs.

Also on another note I have an MF 65 same size tractor and engine but slightly longer wheelbase and it really needs no extra front end weight.

/ Ford 800 front weights #7  
That could work. It is getting harder to find used weights for the old stuff because scrap prices running 10+ cents a pound. I got a pile of scrap together after someone burned a old store that we were using for storage but before I got it hauled off someone else did it for me but I do not know who. :(

Our MF 265 has a number of weights on the front (where I would prefer to have a bumper with a hitch) but that still is not enough going up hill with the very heavy 6' bushhog type cutter lifted but my sister found one in a field and I am going to add it to help. I really hate having to steer with the brakes when that happens.

/ Ford 800 front weights
Well I just picked up a Miller 875 plasma cutter and can cut up to 1 1/4" .I could make up a couple of neat custom weights for the front end now .LOL

/ Ford 800 front weights #9  
Sounds like a cool project for your new cool tool. :)

Do be careful. An 800 light on the front often can mean the load on the lift is a bit much and if pulling that the hitch point is too high. In both cases it can be a safety issue. When one can only steer with the brakes one has little control especially not on level ground. I have spent thousands of hours starting in 1962 on two 800 Fords that were our only tractors on the farm. They are awesome tractors and the first really work horse Ford based on some time on the red belly and 600 series especially when equipped with the double clutch feature.

/ Ford 800 front weights
Sounds like a cool project for your new cool tool. :)

Do be careful. An 800 light on the front often can mean the load on the lift is a bit much and if pulling that the hitch point is too high. In both cases it can be a safety issue. When one can only steer with the brakes one has little control especially not on level ground. I have spent thousands of hours starting in 1962 on two 800 Fords that were our only tractors on the farm. They are awesome tractors and the first really work horse Ford based on some time on the red belly and 600 series especially when equipped with the double clutch feature.

Well I have a MF 65 which is basically same size.The ford is just way too light when lifting discs and 3 bottom plow in the turns as compared to the Massey.Never measured it but I think the Massey is a tad longer wheelbase.Now you got me thinking and I will have to go measure it.Will get back.I remember when I was a kid we planted potatoes with a horse-drawn converted to 3 pt hitch planter.We used an 8n for this.I had to sit on the hood to keep the front end down on the turns.i was about 13 and maybe 85 lbs. Can somebody say OHSA.LOL