Ford 5610s charging issue

/ Ford 5610s charging issue #1  

tdark

I know this problem has been posted on different forums before but I still will ask here.
My friend has a 1997 Ford 5610 S .
I read where these alternators won't charge if the battery temp sensor is bad. Is there a way to check this sensor ? like with a meter ?
I read where you can connect a 200 ohm resistor across back part of alternator from battery post to terminal that goes to this sensor and if the alternator is good it will charge . Otherwise it won't charge using a bench tester or when he installs it.

Last edited:
   / Ford 5610s charging issue #2  
There are several 5610 tractors around here. We have three. Never a charging problem. Never any problem really. You may check the wire that activates it to charge. One of the small wires on alt must have key on voltage to activate field to charge. I've seen 9v and 12v fields. So if tractor is set for 9 and alt is 12 it won't charge. You can get around it by running a 12v wire from key on. Or use a jump wire from the battery with alligator clips from bat pos to small wire on back of alt to see if that makes it charge. If you have a test meter and get 13v at idle or more if you rev up a little, it's doing good. Then you can go backwards to find your problem, after alt is found to be good.
I love those tractors and I only have one dislike about them. High reverse is useless.

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_170233.jpg
    IMG_20220721_170233.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 79
   / Ford 5610s charging issue
There are several 5610 tractors around here. We have three. Never a charging problem. Never any problem really. You may check the wire that activates it to charge. One of the small wires on alt must have key on voltage to activate field to charge. I've seen 9v and 12v fields. So if tractor is set for 9 and alt is 12 it won't charge. You can get around it by running a 12v wire from key on. Or use a jump wire from the battery with alligator clips from bat pos to small wire on back of alt to see if that makes it charge. If you have a test meter and get 13v at idle or more if you rev up a little, it's doing good. Then you can go backwards to find your problem, after alt is found to be good.
I love those tractors and I only have one dislike about them. High reverse is useless.

He was told by the people that sold this alternator to get the 200 ohm resistor and put it on the back of the alternator from battery post to terminal that goes to battery temp sensor or this alternator wouldn't charge.
I have worked on things since the 1960's and this is my first time knowing this. I also have never heard of 9 volt and 12 volt fields but I learn something everyday.
The picture I included is exactly what his looks like. I found this picture when looking today but it is the same as his.
Does your tractors have this type alternator in picture ? I appreciate your help on this.

Attachments

• alternator tractor.jpg
    alternator tractor.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
   / Ford 5610s charging issue #4  
Well, seems you can ohm the resistance of the resistor. But it has to get keyed voltage to activate the field. It has to be keyed so it doesn't run the battery down when not in use. I'm leaning toward jumping the bat temp sensor and checking the charge. Or disconnect it, depending on what it actually does. Like most temp sensors, they get old and won't stand the heat. Just like a thermostat, each year it takes less heat to open it. But if it goes through the temp sensor to provide alt activation voltage, and it is staying open, you could bypass it and see if that is the hidden monster you are hunting. Generators make voltage. Alternators take voltage to make voltage. Just don't cross anything and burn something up, otherwise, be careful on your search.

/ Ford 5610s charging issue #5  
He was told by the people that sold this alternator to get the 200 ohm resistor and put it on the back of the alternator from battery post to terminal that goes to battery temp sensor or this alternator wouldn't charge.
I have worked on things since the 1960's and this is my first time knowing this. I also have never heard of 9 volt and 12 volt fields but I learn something everyday.
The picture I included is exactly what his looks like. I found this picture when looking today but it is the same as his.
Does your tractors have this type alternator in picture ? I appreciate your help on this.
The concept you're describing works. I've done it many times, only I use a 250 ohm resister. I do use a switched circuit to supply the resister. I can't say it's necessary, I just don't feel comfortable wiring it live.

I have no idea why Ford engineers decided to include the battery temp sensor on some models back during that time period. I have bypassed a number of them over the years. They do make for some confusion.

Resistors aren't hard to find

/ Ford 5610s charging issue #6  
McMaster Carr has resistors as should any decent electronic supply house. I purchased several different sizes from McMaster for testing fuel gauge on tractor.

I keep a 250 ohm resistor that goes on an ezgo electric golf cart. It is 6.5 watts. Will it work ?

Can I test the battery temp sensor ? by using an ohm meter ?