Ford 501 sickle mower

/ Ford 501 sickle mower #1  

jacain

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 2600 Ford 3910
I picked up this mower for free today. Everything seems to move on it. I am not familiar with this type of mower but I thought it might come in handy for mowing around my pond if I can get it going without spending much. Some of the wooden parts need to be replaced, but that should be easy enough. Any insight/opinions would be great!

uploadfromtaptalk1459038470637.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459038490659.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459038506238.jpg

/ Ford 501 sickle mower #2  
It looks like the first thing is figuring out how to mount it. I might be able to help you with the mower part of it but getting it connected to the tractor will be step one.

As for mowing around a pond sickle bars are great! that is what I use.

/ Ford 501 sickle mower
It looks like the first thing is figuring out how to mount it. I might be able to help you with the mower part of it but getting it connected to the tractor will be step one.

As for mowing around a pond sickle bars are great! that is what I use.

I think he was running it on a Ford 2000. I can see where the 3 pt connects, but it also looks like it uses some weird stabilizers. I've got some adjustable stabilizers coming for my 3910 and hopefully I can adapt those. I'm thinking a little bead blasting and then a coat of paint and she'll look ok. Once I get it home I'll take some better pics of it so you can see it better. Thanks for offering to help me figure it out!

/ Ford 501 sickle mower
Bruce,

Thanks for posting! Those videos are great! The mower seems to do pretty good in the tall stuff. I should be able to figure it out now and can't wait to get going again. I'll have to make a video when I do.

Justin

/ Ford 501 sickle mower #6  
They do better in tall than short, as long as it's not woody. I don't think a 501 will mow up or down slope unless the tractor is also on that slope, due to the pitman arm. Good price, and good find!
Jim

/ Ford 501 sickle mower
They do better in tall than short, as long as it's not woody. I don't think a 501 will mow up or down slope unless the tractor is also on that slope, due to the pitman arm. Good price, and good find!
Jim
Thanks a lot for the info Jim! My field is pretty flat and around the pond will be too once I bring in the new dirt this summer.

Justin

/ Ford 501 sickle mower #8  
If you need parts Sweet Tractors in Kentucky is a good source. Ken Sweet is a TBN Member.

Nice find and good luck with your refurbishment project.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Ford 501 sickle mower
If you need parts Sweet Tractors in Kentucky is a good source. Ken Sweet is a TBN Member.

Nice find and good luck with your refurbishment project.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Thanks for the info Rick! I'll definitely hit him up if I need anything.

/ Ford 501 sickle mower #10  
"Jensales" has operators' manual for these mowers. I'm sure others do too but that's where I got mine. It sure would help with your setup. The mower pulls along nothing like I thought it would. I figured you would hold it off the ground a few inches with the 3pt hitch and move along but not the way it works. Actually after the setup and adjustments you lower your 3 pt all the way down and the springs on the mower are designed to carry the weight. The shoe on the mower closest to the tractor will only have about 50lbs of weight and the end of the cutter blade will have about 25lbs. I set mine up using a bathroom scale. The weight is held up by the large spring attached to your top link.

The breakaway tensioner is under the U shaped main frame on the right side looking from behind. The adjusting bolt is up inside so you'll have to find it.

Once you get it setup you'll probably be amazed like I was at the engineering that went into designing this tool. I use mine a little to cut the ditches and around the fields where the limbs hang down. Enjoy your new tool you own a tried and true piece of equipment.

My cousin also has a 501 and is planning on restoring his. He's going to paint the main body ford blue of course and paint the bar and knife guards safety yellow. I think it'll look pretty good. Myself I'll leave mine with the original patina. That's a nice word for rust. :)