Ford 5000 Lift issue after rebuild

/ Ford 5000 Lift issue after rebuild #1  

williamhutchinson44

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, 8n sidemount, 4500 backhoe
Was having some weak/drifting on my Ford 5000 3 point. I was doing a lot of work on it and went ahead and pulled the top cover and replaced every seal on that lift cylinder cleaned everything I could clean and replaced both "filters" I also replaced the hydraulic pump (tramission drive type) and replaced all the seals/orings in the rear remotes. I also changed the tranny fluid and seals, no issues with that thiank God. I followed steps from multiple YouTube videos and my repair manuals. I'm not sure what I did wrong because now my lift does nothing. One of the old fragile seals around the brake rod blew out and replaced all 4 of those seals that went into the case. Forgive my improper terms I cannot remember them by name. I don't want to fill it back until I check with some other brains first. I did have help from a mechanic buddy of mine at the time. He thinks it's something simple but the tractor is now 2 hours away from him and he's down with covid for the next 2 weeks at least. My rear remotes are getting some flow to them I don't have a psi guage to check actual flow but it will shoot some fluid out. I feel like I've missed something stupid. Is there a priming step for the lift? Any input or knowledge is appreciated.

/ Ford 5000 Lift issue after rebuild #2  
Our 5000 had an O-ring in a groove between the transmission housing and top cover that blew out which allowed all the oil to spray into the trans housing. This was the main oil passage to the valve stack on the trans cover. Did you replace that O-ring

This was located on right side of tractor as sitting on the seat.

/ Ford 5000 Lift issue after rebuild
Our 5000 had an O-ring in a groove between the transmission housing and top cover that blew out which allowed all the oil to spray into the trans housing. This was the main oil passage to the valve stack on the trans cover. Did you replace that O-ring

This was located on right side of tractor as sitting on the seat.
Hmmm. I assume I did but I don't not remember specifically and I'm not sure I know exactly which o ring this is tho. Do you another way to describe it?

/ Ford 5000 Lift issue after rebuild #4  
Going From memory I had to move the complete top cover for the transmission housing which included the remote hydraulic valve stack, seat mount etc. it was a good sized casting. Once lifted off there was a hole in the transmission casting that was main hydraulic oil passage to the top cover and hydraulic valve stack. This hole had an O-ring groove machined around it.

We had the 1966 5000 & 1978 5600. I believe they were both made the same way.

Going From memory I had to move the complete top cover for the transmission housing which included the remote hydraulic valve stack, seat mount etc. it was a good sized casting. Once lifted off there was a hole in the transmission casting that was main hydraulic oil passage to the top cover and hydraulic valve stack. This hole had an O-ring groove machined around it.

On mine the hydraulic life cover is direct under the seat and then transmission cover Is a separate cover that both gear shifters go into. My rear remotes are mounted on the lift cylinder top cover. I do believe I replaced every o ring in that top cover.

Well after rereading, what you said thr oring was in the actual case? On the transmission side or the hydraulic side?

/ Ford 5000 Lift issue after rebuild #7  
I just looked at Messick website and the parts diagram calls the assembly I am referring to the lift cover and shows the O-ring. This cover includes the 3 point hitch rock shaft. The O-ring goes into the transmission housing. This is really stretching the memory but I think on our 5000 with the the select-o-speed trans there was an inspection - access cover for the hydraulic pump on the right side under the right floor board. I think I ran the right rear tire up on 6 x6 or 8 x8 and removed that cover then could see the oil spraying out when trying to lift 3 point or operate rear remotes. My hearing was good enough back then that I could hear the oil spray which is why I started investigating.

I just looked at Messick website and the parts diagram calls the assembly I am referring to the lift cover and shows the O-ring. This cover includes the 3 point hitch rock shaft. The O-ring goes into the transmission housing. This is really stretching the memory but I think on our 5000 with the the select-o-speed trans there was an inspection - access cover for the hydraulic pump on the right side under the right floor board. I think I ran the right rear tire up on 6 x6 or 8 x8 and removed that cover then could see the oil spraying out when trying to lift 3 point or operate rear remotes. My hearing was good enough back then that I could hear the oil spray which is why I started investigating.
Can you send that link to messicks and I can reference the part numbers in the parts manual and see the proper diagram. I have the other transmission. 10 speed I believe. Has 2 shifters.

/ Ford 5000 Lift issue after rebuild #9  
Attached is the parts diagram I was looking at. O-ring is item 5A located below the gasket bottom center of first page.

Attachments

• Ford 5000 lift cover.pdf
    394 KB · Views: 96
Attached is the parts diagram I was looking at. O-ring is item 5A on the first page.
Perfect. I'm sure that o ring was replaced . I'll listen out for some noise tho.
Thanks for helping out. If I don't find anything else I guess I'll pull that top cover again and visually check that oring what a shame it would be to be foiled by less than a dollars worth of runber.