Ford 3910 FWD front axle repairs

/ Ford 3910 FWD front axle repairs #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
Decided I am tired of oil drips on the shop floor so fixing some leaks. This tractor leaks out of the axle shaft seals which drips from the knuckles and it leaks out of the center section swivel. So I rigged up a stand to hold the tractor in place with the axle removed. Then strapped the axle assembly to an air jack, removed the front wheels, removed the 8 large bolts that holds the assembly in place and wheeled it from under the tractor.

Attachments

• 20150123_125217 (1280x720).jpg
    20150123_125217 (1280x720).jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 1,605
  • 20150123_130438 (1280x720).jpg
    20150123_130438 (1280x720).jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 1,608
   / Ford 3910 FWD front axle repairs
The axle assembly oscillates on a large bushing assembly at the front and another at the rear. The rear one is where the oil leak is. Although I can't argue with the fact that this tractor is 30 years old and I'm sure I'm the first to work on it, I still am disappointed in the design.

The gear case loads from the rear and it's machined with a neck that provides one wear surface. The other wear surface is a bushing that's fitted into the transfer housing. What holds the bushing in place and prevents it spinning in the case is the grease zerk holder. Remove the holder and the bushing comes right out.

It appears the bushing is almost the same hardness as the machined case neck. So the wear is equally divided between those two. Bummer. The only way to fix any wear on the case housing is to replace it. I'm not even gonna bother to price that piece. The replaceable bushing was over $300. The only oil seal is an O-ring that's fitted into a slot in the transfer housing and then rubs on the gear case housing. It has standing oil against it all the time. I'll smooth the case neck with some emery cloth, install a new bushing and O-ring, and hope for the best...

20150123_130456 (1280x720).jpg20150123_131447 (1280x720).jpg20150123_135337 (1280x720).jpg20150123_135403 (1280x720).jpg

When I get the parts I'll put the new bushings and O-ring on then reinstall the axle assembly. Then I'll tackle removing the axle shafts and replacing those seals. I'll post more pics when I do that part.

Once the front axle is done I'll split the tractor and replace the engine rear main seal. I'll start a new thread for that part.

Good times. :)

/ Ford 3910 FWD front axle repairs #4  
Bored? ;)
Nice post, pics are worth 6,000 words.

/ Ford 3910 FWD front axle repairs #5  
So the wear is equally divided between those two So why even bother with having a bushing?:confused:

Its nice having the tools you need.. And finding them when you need them.:thumbsup:

/ Ford 3910 FWD front axle repairs #6  
Bored? ;)

I too like the pics. Keep them coming. I also like a shop that looks like you work in it!:thumbsup:

Bored? ;)

Can't stand leaks. Yeah pics are worth a lot. I'm always surprised what people see in them that I didn't even notice.

So the wear is equally divided between those two So why even bother with having a bushing?:confused:

Its nice having the tools you need.. And finding them when you need them.:thumbsup:

Yeah, that wear thing really bothers me. I'll do some measurements when I get the new bushing. I don't see as much wear on the replaceable bushing as I do on the housing. I expected to find a replaceable bushing totally worn out and very little wear on the axle housing. Or replaceable bushings on both pieces. At the front side of the axle they are both replaceable. I'm really gonna be bummed if it still leaks.

Sometimes I get a lot of projects going at once and the shop is trashed. I have to stop and put ALL the tools away and start over. Can't find anything.... :)

I too like the pics. Keep them coming. I also like a shop that looks like you work in it!:thumbsup:

Thanks Murph. As I've said many times, I'm truly Blessed with a nicely equipped shop. And it's good for my Soul to spend the day in it.

/ Ford 3910 FWD front axle repairs #10  
On the housing wear where the bushing contacts it...I once used a Loctite product that filled a gap like this and worked great. Made specifically for this type of application. It was a large bearing race where the hub was really screwed up and even wobbled in the very expensive housing. You probably already know of this product and not sure it would even apply you but worth a mention.

Great thread and the photos really tell the story.