Ford 3910 engine temp reading

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #11  
I have an aftermarket panel for the asking/taking. I bought it before I restored my tractor, misplaced it, bought another one when I needed it then found it in a box of other parts I bought for the restoration. :confused:
I thought i was the only guy that bought parts and couldn't find them when i needed them!

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading
Check the instrument panel ground since both fuel level and temp gauges are not operating. Leave a ground jumper on temp sender wire while looking at instrument panel ground. This will make checking easier.

Ok thank you so please explain how to check the instrument panel ground again? I have basically removed all existing wires “one at a time” then reattached them to the panel.

Sorry I’m not very competent electrically.

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #13  
Ok thank you so please explain how to check the instrument panel ground again? I have basically removed all existing wires “one at a time” then reattached them to the panel.

Sorry I’m not very competent electrically.
The attached is for a 550, but essentially the same. #5 in the diagram is the ground for the instrument panel. You can run a jumper from the battery ground to there.
Also, you can ground #6, temp gauge on the terminal that the arrow is pointing to find out if the gauge works. Likewise for #11 for the fuel gauge.

Attachments

• 20230214_172111.jpg
    20230214_172111.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
This is the back of my cluster

IMG_3858.jpg

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #15  
The black wire is ground. Take a jumper to the battery - and see if anything changes. With that jumper on, ground out the temp sender wire and see if anything happens.

Well finally figured it out. So I had a friend of mine clean out the fuel tank last month. It has developed all kinds of Rust and crap from the fuel becoming too old in the tank. I didn’t realize he had removed the tank and when he did he disconnected the tach cluster but unfortunately wired it back up incorrectly. The second picture shows how it should be and the second picture shows how he had it. Basically the ground and the positive were backwards. And the coolant temp was connected to fuel sending unit.
IMG_3900.jpg

Now everything works except the fuel gauge which goes all the way to empty. I think I need to pull it and clean it up good and then will probably work fine.

IMG_3904.jpg

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #17  
Glad it was a fairly easy fix and that it is working again

Appreciate the help and glad I didn’t need to buy a new cluster. I actually got one in but now going to return it. Lol

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #19  
Hello,

I’m having a issues with the temp readout on my tach. It basically stays in the same position all the time where all my other Fords go all the way to cold position when key is turned on. Does this sound like a bad sensor?
I have a 3910 that sat out in the weather glazing over the plastic cover before I bought it. ebay has the whole instrument panel for a great price. Takes about 15 minutes to change it. I put one in my 3000 years ago, and recently bought aFord 3600, same problem, fixed it, and Case-IH 395 with the same dash glaze over, different panel hookup and shape, so I bought another one of them and made some mods for it.

When you have a nice looking tractor and nice paint and all and have one of these bleached out instrument panels it just ruins the whole thing. With a new inst. panel its like driving a new tractor.

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #20  
I have a 3910 that sat out in the weather glazing over the plastic cover before I bought it. ebay has the whole instrument panel for a great price. Takes about 15 minutes to change it. I put one in my 3000 years ago, and recently bought aFord 3600, same problem, fixed it, and Case-IH 395 with the same dash glaze over, different panel hookup and shape, so I bought another one of them and made some mods for it.

When you have a nice looking tractor and nice paint and all and have one of these bleached out instrument panels it just ruins the whole thing. With a new inst. panel its like driving a new tractor.
Luckily mine is still good, but how are those ebay clusters Texasmark? I've heard some people say they are not weathertight and fail almost immediately??
Did yours work out good?