Ford 3910 engine temp reading

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Hello,

I’m having a issues with the temp readout on my tach. It basically stays in the same position all the time where all my other Fords go all the way to cold position when key is turned on. Does this sound like a bad sensor?

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #2  
Hello,

I’m having a issues with the temp readout on my tach. It basically stays in the same position all the time where all my other Fords go all the way to cold position when key is turned on. Does this sound like a bad sensor?
Looks like your temp gauge is bad. I don't think they are replaceable. I think you may need a whole new panel. It's also possible your sending unit is bad AND the gauge is bad. If you ground the wire to the sending unit TEMPORARILY does the gauge react? If it does, the sending unit is bad.

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading
Ok thanks I’m going to check it tomorrow. Both the fuel gauge and temp gauge went out at the same time so it’s probably not the sensors I’m guessing.

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #5  
Do you have idiot lights? The gauges are replaceable FYI, but it would be cheaper to buy an aftermarket instrument cluster. Sound more like an electrical connection or ground at the panel.

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #6  
you could get a good over the counter one and mount it somewhere on your dash

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #7  
you could get a good over the counter one and mount it somewhere on your dash
Some idiot did that to mine before I bought it. I had to weld up the hole. :mad:

That spot behind the dash and on top of the fuel tank is a favorite spot for wire eating critters. Pull the dash out and look behind it for eaten/shorted wires.

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #8  
Do you have idiot lights? The gauges are replaceable FYI, but it would be cheaper to buy an aftermarket instrument cluster. Sound more like an electrical connection or ground at the panel.
I have an aftermarket panel for the asking/taking. I bought it before I restored my tractor, misplaced it, bought another one when I needed it then found it in a box of other parts I bought for the restoration. :confused:

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading
So I grounded the wire that connects to the sensor but it did not effect the gauge. I tried it on the block and then on the negative terminal of the battery. Gauge didn’t react at all?

/ Ford 3910 engine temp reading #10  
Check the instrument panel ground since both fuel level and temp gauges are not operating. Leave a ground jumper on temp sender wire while looking at instrument panel ground. This will make checking easier.