Ford 2000 Tractor Starter Removal

/ Ford 2000 Tractor Starter Removal #1  

Conquistador

Tractor
Kubota L2050
I have a Ford 2000 3 cyl gas tractor my dad gave me after getting a new shiny John Deer. The starter is bad and needs to be replaced. I can easily remove the outside two bolts, is there a third next to the engine block? I tried to feel around but big hands in small places doesn't work well. Is there a third bolt and how do I get to it?

Starter gets very hot and only slowly turns the engine when the key is turned over. Battery is fully charged and does this even if I have the jumper box on the battery. Tried that just in case. The starter will turn over the engine, but very very slowly.

Second question:

My parts store is saying there are two different starters available. A Ford starter or a Lucas. He says he needs to know which starter is on there. How do I tell?

As far as numbers on the tractor, this is what I have.
Tractor Serial Number C342266
Model B1023C
Engine 2B28A

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've spent several days looking through threads but nothing really helps. Hopefully one of you can come through.

Last edited:
   / Ford 2000 Tractor Starter Removal #2  
   / Ford 2000 Tractor Starter Removal #3  
Ford 3 cylinder gas tractors built from 1965 and later all take the same starter. There is one choice, and one only.

/ Ford 2000 Tractor Starter Removal #4  
the difference between ford and lucas starters is the lucas has solenoid attached and ford starter solenoid is mounted to firewall either starter has 3 bolt holding it to motor

/ Ford 2000 Tractor Starter Removal #5  
the difference between ford and lucas starters is the lucas has solenoid attached and ford starter solenoid is mounted to firewall either starter has 3 bolt holding it to motor

Ford starter fits spark ignition tractors & the Lucas starter fiits All diesels and later 4 cylinder gas Fords.

/ Ford 2000 Tractor Starter Removal #6  
Rick. i think the confusion also stemms from couter people at some palces that are not familiar witht he ford 2000/4000 prior models.. vs the 3 cyl jobs