Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not?

/ Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not? #1  

MaineFord

Tractor
Ford 1910
Hi everyone — I searched for “k-seal” and “blue devil” and “head gasket seal” and didn’t get results so asking here:

My 1910 has been running hot (the line just below max after 10-15 minutes) and needing antifreeze. Today I gave it some very light duty and it went to max temp, and started discharging gray liquid from the radiator vent down tube.

I turned it off, let it cool, started it up and ran it gently into its garage stall. I did not do any other diagnostics, but it seems very very likely to be a blown head gasket per web searches and mechanic friend looking at pictures of the gray goo, which I have also attached here.

My question is this: is there any downside to trying k-seal or blue devil additive to try to get a seal on the head gasket?

I realize it may not work, or may work but not for long, my question is really about whether I risk damage by using it?

Attachments

• 84637CF6-3376-4392-A43B-838742D94A66.jpeg
    84637CF6-3376-4392-A43B-838742D94A66.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
  • 90B4F5BA-B90F-422B-81BB-488F030567FA.jpeg
    90B4F5BA-B90F-422B-81BB-488F030567FA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
   / Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not?
One note: It has been running fine and still is, nothing abnormal.

/ Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not? #3  
Probably not good advice and my experience with "snake oil" was a old pre taco pickup with the 22re gas motor. Head gasket was failing it was overheating, lot of gunk similar to your picture on oil cap. Anyways put a bottle of head gasket/radiator sealer in it ran for another 100k with no noticable problems. That was over 20 yrs ago and no idea what it was called. But I am not apprehensive of using it on older used up stuff especially as a sometimes temporary backwoods hack job. Im also apprehensive of tearing older engines apart cuz I'm like since im spending time taking it apart where do I stop replacing stuff that may fail eventually even if it still looks ok.

/ Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not? #4  
You want to use it for another 20 years ? Rebuild it right and replace that 35 year old radiator too. They don't last forever without rebuilding.

/ Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not? #5  
Might as well replace the water pump also. If the heads warped could be a pricy undertaking? Wonder if the experienced folks would replace the valves, lifters, cam bearing etc. not to mention does the op have a trustworthy competent tech to do the repair? Id stick to snake oil if its going to make an old tractor usable again but that's me.

/ Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not? #6  
If you think it is a head gasket, then just replace it. Unlike modern cars, a tractor should have pretty good access to work on it.

I'm seeing head, manifold, and valve cover gasket sets for about $40.

It doesn't hurt to lap the valves at the same time. With some luck you'll have an afternoon's worth of work and back working the same day.

/ Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not? #7  
Looking at his pictures looks like a lot of coolant mixed in the oil, head gasket/rad sealers like 10 bucks a bottle it's hard to be a paper pushing wannabe desk mechanic unfamiliar with Ford tractors without at least taking the valve cover off in person who knows what it looks like in there?

/ Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not? #8  
Another example friend of mine did a new head gasket on his car head was warpped, got it machined within 1000 miles blew a hole in one of his pistons. Bad luck, improper assembly? he did replace all head bolts and said he torqued properly in recommended order. Whatever the op decides I wish him luck and hope he gives an update on repair he chooses and end result.

/ Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not? #9  
I'm not a fan of radiator sealants.

I bought an old box truck a few years ago for a drive across the country. The thing was over heating like crazy. So before I hit the continental divide, I decided to try a radiator flush. The thing sprung a thousand leaks.

I ended up with an unscheduled stop in Fort Collins to get the radiator recored.

Talking to the radiator guy, he said he could tell it had old sealant in it which was the cause of my overheating. Half the radiator was clogged with sealant.

Of course it probably meant just putting off the inevitable recore job anyway.

Anyway, for the head gasket in the tractor, it should be a cheap/easy repair. The big question is how much other work you want to do at the same time. If the tractor seems to be doing OK, then I might just start with the head gasket.

A lot of things have changed over time. Welded aluminum radiators are very popular today, and are supposed to cool very well. They may not be as expensive as one would otherwise think.

/ Ford 1910 blown head gasket: K-Seal or not? #10  
Definitely, some folks have had bad experiences with snake oil sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I've had decent luck with head gasket sealers. Curious for reference what are some other things that should be checked, replaced while that head is off on that era tractor and motor?