Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #291  
I remember Grandma's headcheese;
What is headcheese, and what do you do with it? I used to see it occasionally in the supermarket. Looked gross so I never tried any.
We also had a fat jar by the wood stove. Mom would put bacon grease, etc., in there for future use
We don't eat bacon very often (tastes good, but my cholesterol's bad enough already thank you), though I do put hamburger grease, etc. in a jar. Don't use it for anything, just goes in the trash when it's full. Better than dumping down the drain. I suppose I could put a wick in it and use it for an emergency candle... :ROFLMAO:

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #292  
Head cheese is a gelled concoction of trimmings from a cow or pigs head, that has been boiled down and gelled.

1668723387645.png

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #295  
Wow, do some humans actually eat head cheese ? It looks like road kill.
Yes, some of us like road kill. You would be surprised what people eat when they don't have much else to eat. Well made head cheese is very good (as is blood wurst but that's another topic).

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #296  
Yes, some of us like road kill. You would be surprised what people eat when they don't have much else to eat. Well made head cheese is very good (as is blood wurst but that's another topic).
At least roadkill is recognizable as meat, headcheese not so much. Now maybe it tastes good, who knows but it looks so unappealing that I think I'll pass.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #297  
As a youngster we'd occasionally have potted meat sandwiches for lunch. That was an upgrade from the ketchup sandwiches that we usually would have.
I suppose they still sell potted meat, but you won't find any in my shopping basket :) Those days during WWII were not fun.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #298  
Potted meat. Last I ate was maybe 75 years ago. That was enough. Talk about a colon cleanse!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #300  
So I looked up potted meat....

View attachment 770953

That's not much different looking than cat food.
I had to Google it too. From the ingredients listed it sounds like it was made from stuff that didn't meet the standards for pet food. I suppose if you're hungry enough...:sick: It appears they still make it.