Fogger & insect control help

/ Fogger & insect control help #21  
For surf fishing in NC (Davis Island), my buddies love to bring me along... no-see'ums and gnats love me and leave them alone!! Hate those buggers...

/ Fogger & insect control help #22  
We live in the Pisgah National Forest in western NC and usually have a lot of flying insects in the summer months. I was thinking about getting a insect fogger and wanted to see what other people use including which chemicals I would need and where to buy the fogger and chemicals? I am open to other suggestions as well.
C

We live in the Pisgah National Forest in western NC and usually have a lot of flying insects in the summer months. I was thinking about getting a insect fogger and wanted to see what other people use including which chemicals I would need and where to buy the fogger and chemicals? I am open to other suggestions as well.
Sherpa
Curtis Dyna-Fog Golden Eagle 2610 Fogger. It's a pulse jet engine and I believe it's the best option in the world if money is not a concern, and acreage is large. If the link fails, it's at "solutionsstores.com" for comfortably under 2000$. It's been a while since i researched, but I *think* that's the best price I've ever seen. Plenty of Youtube videos on it and its kindred. There are of course the knockoffs on the direct from China websites.
This is not the route I went, but it is the route I will likely go when my current contraption goes belly up. I cut a discarded riding mower up and placed the open engine with frame supports on a hitch carrier I had laying aound, used ratchet straps to secure, bought an ebay starter and carb for well under 100$ and now I have a fogger for my 3-point with Quick Hitch. It does a very good job as the impellers create a wind shear which drives the fog to the ground and the top-link adjustment further aids and abets a lower running fog propogation. Together with my other tools for mosquito control, this has really changed my life and my animals aren't suffering nearly as much.

/ Fogger & insect control help #23  
Sherpa
My apologies for the weird and incomplete prior post. IDK what happened...

The insecticide is another story. There's something going on with the availabilty of the concentrations we'll need, a number of the brands and concentrations I used in the past are discontinued or out of stock. I see some hints that there still may be a supply issue with the pyrethrins. I haven't been able to find much at all beyond the retail level of mosquito fogger solution. IMO the retail levels are useless and prohibitively expensive. This very evening I found a 30-30 concentration after hours of searching (Perm-X UL 30-30). Of course there's no reason at all to use that concentration, so I've found mineral oil to be the best performing carrier for making a fog persistent enough to be effective and I use it to cut down to well into the single digits formula ratio. This makes it so much more economical although the initial investment is spendy. I fog just before dark when the mosquitos are in the air and only when the wind is calm or very nearly so. I have virtually no standing water mosquitos, mine are flood-water and are a much more difficult animal to control. I generally make do with 3-5 times a year, even less when the rains aren't bad.

/ Fogger & insect control help #24  
Turn off all your outside lights that attract bugs at night. I've heard too many people complain about bugs that have a big light outside that is on all night.

/ Fogger & insect control help #25  
Around here I have several different day-time mosquito eaters and bats at night. Then - every once in a while - a pine bark beetle swoops in. They can be VERY large. Five inches long and inch and a half wide. It will "hit" you like somebody threw a rock and hit you. Large legs - large jaws but they will do no harm to a person. Scare the crap out of you and they can make a loud buzzing sound.

/ Fogger & insect control help #26  
+1 on the fogger like Dodge man has.

If you make a very large fog circle around where you are, the bugs didn't seem to be able to find you. It does have to be repeated about every 15 minutes, on a calm summer night.

Thankfully, where I live right now, I can be outside and other than an occasional annoying fly, I don't have any bugs bother me.

/ Fogger & insect control help #27  
...a pine bark beetle swoops in. They can be VERY large. Five inches long and inch and a half wide.
Pine bark beetles are about the size of a half a grain of rice. What you are most likely seeing are Wood bores (like Sawyer beetles), that come into a dead tree after the pine bark beetles have killed the tree.