Fogger & insect control help

/ Fogger & insect control help #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
We live in the Pisgah National Forest in western NC and usually have a lot of flying insects in the summer months. I was thinking about getting a insect fogger and wanted to see what other people use including which chemicals I would need and where to buy the fogger and chemicals? I am open to other suggestions as well.
Sherpa

/ Fogger & insect control help #2  
Put up more bat houses and bird boxes?

FWIW: Our insect issues went down after we quit using pesticides because insectivores moved in. Plus, we get to watch the bluebirds up close.

All the best,

Peter

/ Fogger & insect control help #3  
3C07D560-D065-489D-980A-6C08CBDFB8D0.jpeg

This is one I have, a small propane tank screws in the back to heat it up. It works good but I have so many trees around it seemed to have a limited affect unless it was a dead calm. I haven’t used it in years. I got it at the local farm store and the chemical were available there, I was mainly after mosquitoes.

/ Fogger & insect control help #4  
Get an old push mower that runs...fashion a tank with a 1/8" copper tubed fastened with a needle valve...punch a 3/16" hole in the muffler...
...fill the tank with spent motor oil, some diesel or kerosene and some citronella oil...
as soon as the muffler is hot open the valve...fog city limits...!

under decks and in piles of wet leaves are mosquitoes like to hang....

/ Fogger & insect control help #5  
I'm not apposed to using pesticides IF DONE RESPONSIBLY and targeting specific pests but wholesale broadcasting always causes more problems than it solves. I wish I could still buy some of the pesticides that were taken off shelves in past years but if they weren't taken out of public reach the world would pay for indiscriminate use. Perhapps if you identify the flying insects and what problem they cause for you,we might better help.

/ Fogger & insect control help
Mainly "No See Ums", "Nats" and a few "Mosquitos". We have outside fires at the firering and we have Bats. I have sprayed with a handheld pump up sprayer that helps temporarily. I built a fogger with an old lawnmower that was very effective but I can't get the lawnmower to all my property. Any other suggestions?

/ Fogger & insect control help #7  
Get an old push mower that runs...fashion a tank with a 1/8" copper tubed fastened with a needle valve...punch a 3/16" hole in the muffler...
...fill the tank with spent motor oil, some diesel or kerosene and some citronella oil...
as soon as the muffler is hot open the valve...fog city limits...!

under decks and in piles of wet leaves are mosquitoes like to hang....
Is that tier 4 final complaint????

/ Fogger & insect control help #8  
View attachment 793731
This is one I have, a small propane tank screws in the back to heat it up. It works good but I have so many trees around it seemed to have a limited affect unless it was a dead calm. I haven’t used it in years. I got it at the local farm store and the chemical were available there, I was mainly after mosquitoes.
I have one of those propane foggers too with the same results. I mostly use it now to fog out ground bees.

/ Fogger & insect control help #9  
Put up more bat houses and bird boxes?

FWIW: Our insect issues went down after we quit using pesticides because insectivores moved in. Plus, we get to watch the bluebirds up close.

All the best,

Peter
I agree on the birds.....more of them will help with the insects and they don't like sprayed food. We have tree swallows, barn swallows, bluebirds, bats, etc and they eat lots of bugs. With all the swallows in and around the neighbor's barn, it is the most mosquito-free place around here.

/ Fogger & insect control help #10  
Gnats, No-see-ums and mosquitos don't damage anything so residual pesticide isn't required. To keep them at bay while outdoors I recommend Sawyer Permethrin on clothes,lawn chairs,umberella shades and other objects. Protection lasts for weeks and/or a few times through laundry. We have treated garments we only wear when protection is needed so a single treatment lasts from Spring through Summer then retreated in Fall when mosquito population dramatically increases. Guests often look suspiciously at us when offered ankle length garments but after experiencing protection from mosquitos,ask "what is the stuff on this garment called"? If dogs are with you Sawyer is safe to be applied to them and as a bonus protects them several day against ticks. Even if it weren't effective for afore mentioned pests my wife would pay 10x what it costs just for chigger protection. In the mudroom closet with the other treated garments are cotton socks with foot removed and homemade leggings that are 99.999% effective for chiggers. Deet is also effective for chiggers but the wife loath's having on her and can't wait to get in the shower afterwards. Plus in the past sure as hell we walked to the pond without spraying we got a load of chiggers. The cherry on top is Permethrin not only repels,it actuall kills many insects that come in contact.
I referenced Sawyer which I highly recommend and you can find a bucnch of info on line. I use THIS STUFF because I use a lot and it's so much cheaper.
Research plants adapted to your location that repel certain things.

Last edited: