Fly control for cattle

/ Fly control for cattle #1  

robbyr

Elite Member
Tractor
ford and mahindra
Was wondering if anyone here has ever sprayed cattle from a 3pt sprayer on tractor?

/ Fly control for cattle #2  
Cattlemen around here have installed "scratchers and oilers". I would guess they get the insecticide from the same company as the scratchers. They also use organophosphate ear tags with diazanon.

At times they will spray the feed lots - if the flies get too bad.

/ Fly control for cattle #3  
Was wondering if anyone here has ever sprayed cattle from a 3pt sprayer on tractor?
No and can't say as I'd want to, sounds like rabbit hunting with a Bazooka. I try to handle my cattle with as little stress and risk of injury as possible. 75% have flop ears and if agitated will kick,fight,charge into and climb fences but I can put them in the corral by myself with a feed bag then walk amongst them with a backpack sprayer or move along fence with a 12 volt sprayer applying mixture to animals without putting more on ground than animals.

/ Fly control for cattle #4  
When we used to do it, I did it by hand.

But fifteen years ago, we quit, and while it was bad for a couple of months, it got better. The following year multiple pairs of swallows and blue birds moved in, and we have minimal fly issues now. I would comment that we have the habitat for them, and I go out of my way to make sure that the nesting spaces aren't disturbed. If you are starting out, I might consider some nesting boxes or platforms.

(Bat boxes are great as well, but bats seem more finicky about location. They just don't cross paths with flies.)

I would not go back to spraying. I enjoy the birds too much.

All the best,

Peter

/ Fly control for cattle #5  
During the 'fly season' we do this:

- we use Justifly salt blocks. They are supposed to stop the flys cycle - it is referred to as a larvicide. We used to use Rabon Sweetlix but apparently that is no longer made. Anyway, we noticed a very significant decrease in the fly population. Before using this they had a lot of the larger flies around their heads and eyes. We put the Justifly away and put out regular mineral blocks after the fly season is over.

-our cows are tame, so we can call them up to the fence and spray their back from a spray bottle with a permethrin product. We use this to spray their backs where the smaller flies would gather. This also works really well. But we only have ten head so doable.

/ Fly control for cattle
Our cows are mostly gentle. Probably 1/3 of them I can pet and scratch on. I know.....shouldn't do that. The rest are gentle as long as I don't mess with em. I have squirted them with a syringe of permethrin based product from the four wheeler while they're eating cubes. Maybe need to try with a bigger spray bottle. That's in the pasture. Most don't really like it and will wander away. Thought about spraying em in the lot with a pump up sprayer. They'll follow the cubes. Just trying to figure out a way to not have to run em down chute to do it. Tried fly rope but haven't had a lot of success with it. Just getting ideas. Thanks for the responses.

/ Fly control for cattle #7  
Our cows are mostly gentle. Probably 1/3 of them I can pet and scratch on. I know.....shouldn't do that. The rest are gentle as long as I don't mess with em. I have squirted them with a syringe of permethrin based product from the four wheeler while they're eating cubes. Maybe need to try with a bigger spray bottle. That's in the pasture. Most don't really like it and will wander away. Thought about spraying em in the lot with a pump up sprayer. They'll follow the cubes. Just trying to figure out a way to not have to run em down chute to do it. Tried fly rope but haven't had a lot of success with it. Just getting ideas. Thanks for the responses.
We can call ours right up to the yard fence. Trained them to come at a certain loud voice 'call' which to them means a bit of hay will be waiting. Then as they gather (they will eat the hay from our hands) we spray them (their backs) with a small spray bottle we got at TSC. They don't mind it or even notice it. They are tame but not quite enough to allow petting and scratching. The nozzle adjusts for narrow squirts or wider sprays.

This is the product we use in the spray bottle:

And this is a link to the Justifly blocks:

And I forgot to mention - we also have a roughly 12' square area blocked off with coral panels with one small gate-opening. Their (shaded) water trough is inside of that fenced area. We also put the Justifly salt block inside that area. And above the only opening into that area we hung a duster bag. They have to enter and leave through that single opening to get water and access the salt block - so they get dusted in and out and for as many times as they need to get to the water.

Last edited:
   / Fly control for cattle #8  
We can call ours right up to the yard fence. Trained them to come at a certain loud voice 'call' which to them means a bit of hay will be waiting. Then as they gather (they will eat the hay from our hands) we spray them (their backs) with a small spray bottle we got at TSC. They don't mind it or even notice it. They are tame but not quite enough to allow petting and scratching. The nozzle adjusts for narrow squirts or wider sprays.

This is the product we use in the spray bottle:

And this is a link to the Justifly blocks:

And I forgot to mention - we also have a roughly 12' square area blocked off with coral panels with one small gate-opening. Their (shaded) water trough is inside of that fenced area. We also put the Justifly salt block inside that area. And above the only opening into that area we hung a duster bag. They have to enter and leave through that single opening to get water and access the salt block - so they get dusted in and out and for as many times as they need to get to the water.
That brought a smile to my face reading it. Thanks. The duster bag over an entry to water sounds perfect! Right out of the cowboy manual. Effective with minimal effort.

I got pretty good with the syringe method for the pour on fly spray and wormer, but we also handle our cows often, plus they are a docile breed, so they are well behaved and used to us moving around them. Definitely, a YMMV item.

All the best,

Peter

/ Fly control for cattle #9  
Check out Just a Few Acres Farm on You Tube. He has a rub the cows pass under. Good results from it.