Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #11  
you must have used the NH fluid for cold service?

the walmart and generics IMHO.. are usually thinner than the oem oils..

soundguy

I think the generics are fine for non-HST tractors, but I've found the NH 134 fluid is significantly better for HSTs. This is certainly a personal judgement and may be subjective, but the multi-grade Ambra 134 is the only oil I'd recommend for HST tractors. It was significant enough in my experience that I could instantly tell the difference in cold weather. We don't get much cold weather here in N. TX, but probably a bit more than you get in FL. I'm guessing our northern members might see even more difference. Again, just my personal opinion based on my experience with my HST tractor.:)

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #12  
viscosity is the one ( or the main one) thing that differs between manu generic utf's and their equivalents. Walmart utf even states so in some flyspec disclaimer ont he back of the container that while it meets other spcs listed, there may be viscosity differences. so i believe your observation is spot on.

soundguy

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #13  
I have a 1620 and I love the unit. The size is just right for me and the Hydrostatic drive works well for what I do with it.

When I did the 300 hour service I put the ford 134 equivalent "Universal hydrostatic drive" fluid in from Tractor Supply. It worked OK until it got below freezing. Then the trans started to whine more and the pedal return was sluggish. I drained it and put the New Holland fluid in and the issues went away. So I'd spend the little extra and get the new holland fluid.
It’s a bit of a grove to my closest New Holland dealer, but I always feel at ease with their products to maintain my 1620 that I depend on to clear snow & all other jobs I need it for.

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #14  
It’s a bit of a grove to my closest New Holland dealer, but I always feel at ease with their products to maintain my 1620 that I depend on to clear snow & all other jobs I need it for.
Howdy, I hope you realized that this thread is 12 years stale. Our dear Jinman is no longer with us but his advise will always stay fresh and good. I have had both NH-134 and also equal to it from TSC and had no issue with my rig in the last 18 years. TSC brand that they had in the past was Mystick and now is Traveler, supposedly a bit more premium.

Last edited:
   / Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #15  
Thank you for the info, TSC would be more convenient.

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #16  
I've done pretty well with Shell rotella TractorHD. I also use rotella 15w40 for the motor in all my diesels.