Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #1  

Steve M

Tractor
Ford 1620
We took delivery of this cherry Ford 1620 HST just last Friday. I didn't get to try it out until yesterday. I must say, it sure handles nice. Prior to this I've been working around our 5 acres with a loaner Oliver 1650, what a beast and workhorse! The only other compact I've owned was a '53 8n.

Anyway .... time for chit-chat later.

I did some loader work for about an hour, moving piles of horsesh...stuff to a place not far away. Lots of back and forth, running in Medium. A couple of times I noticed a brief grind and jerk when going forward. But I thought that was just me getting used to the hydro.

After that hour or so I wanted to give the MMM a bit of a workout so I figured out the (many!) symbols and got the blades running. It would go about 30-40 feet and then kind of stall, not the engine but the drive. Kind of a hiccup and then a lurch forward. Shifted to Low and it was worse, just lurching along. In high it wasn't as bad as Med but still, lurching. I put it back in medium and locked the cruise but it would still do the same hesitations.

A bit of history here. We got it from a local, reputable dealer. I noticed that the inside of the right-rear tire was oily and there was a pancake size spot on the asphalt. They fixed it before delivery (took 2 weeks) and had to replace two seals. Said they had to split the tractor, whatever that means. We went in to visit them today and they thought it might have air in the lines, be low on hydro fluid or something may not be adjusted correctly. But they didn't know what kind of fluid I should get. Hmmm? They sell Case, 4x4s, motorcycles, trucks and all kinds of stuff.

So, I'll be checking the fluid level in the morning and hopefully will find a sticker that tells me what kind. If it's low I'll go get some and top it off.

Anyone happen to know how much and what kind of fluid goes in the Hydro? Prolly needs a filter of some kind too, eh?

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #3  
Howdy & congrats on the new tractor! I have a 1520 that I got this spring and am very happy with it. Shortly after I got it, I went to my local NH dealer to pick up some things and he offered to print out the lubricants and capacities page from the computer for me. It covers the 1620, too. Here's what it has:

-----
Engine: 15W40, 4.8 Qt
Rear axle & trans: 134D, 5.8 Gal
Front axle, hubs & differential, (if FWD) each: 134D, 3.2 Qt
Power steering: 134D, 1.9 Qt

:thumbsup:

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #4  
Hi Steve.
What rpm were you running? Several guys have talked about uneven ground speed and upping the rpm helped.
My Ford 1700 (gear) rear axle holds 22 liters, and the 1510 (gear) holds 20 liters si I would think your capacity will be close.

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #5  
ditto what whodat said.. anything compatible with the ambrag M2C134D spec oil.

( walmart, sams, TSC, etc.. )

soundguy

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #6  
I have a 1620 and I love the unit. The size is just right for me and the Hydrostatic drive works well for what I do with it.

When I did the 300 hour service I put the ford 134 equivalent "Universal hydrostatic drive" fluid in from Tractor Supply. It worked OK until it got below freezing. Then the trans started to whine more and the pedal return was sluggish. I drained it and put the New Holland fluid in and the issues went away. So I'd spend the little extra and get the new holland fluid.

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #7  
I have a Ford 1900 Gear drive. Mine isn't the same but if you have the owners manual for it I'd check over all the fluids and levels very carefully. If they've truely split the tractor in half to fix some oil seals they might not have put everything back together correctly or filled things correctly. A used machine means some maint will need to be checked out. Especially if the dealer is a multi dealer and they aren't experts on the model.

Steve

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro #8  
I have a 1620 and I love the unit. The size is just right for me and the Hydrostatic drive works well for what I do with it.

When I did the 300 hour service I put the ford 134 equivalent "Universal hydrostatic drive" fluid in from Tractor Supply. It worked OK until it got below freezing. Then the trans started to whine more and the pedal return was sluggish. I drained it and put the New Holland fluid in and the issues went away. So I'd spend the little extra and get the new holland fluid.

you must have used the NH fluid for cold service?

the walmart and generics IMHO.. are usually thinner than the oem oils..

soundguy

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro
Thanks everyone for your input. Sorry for not getting back to y'all on this .... weather iinterferred and I had to get some wood in and fire up the furnace.

I did get out and check the fluid level and it appears to be about 2 inches *above* the line on the dipstick. I ran 'er around some at different speeds and different gear levels but was still getting the same problem. Called the dealer and he's sending the mechanic out to check into it and they'll either fix it on site or he'll load it up and take it back into the shop.

Apparently this tractor was a favorite around the place, they traded for it in April, and many of the staff had borrowed it over that time. Not one of them said that there was any problem with it and certainly no surging. The owner is convinced that something was done wrong during the service. They're also going to find the manual or order one for me.

/ Fluid Type, Ford 1620 Hydro
The mechanic came out from the dealership and got 'er all straightened out.

He made some adjustments to the rear brakes and cleared some air out of the lines. We're running smooth and strong. I sure do like this 1620!

And it seems my ole eyes were not seeing the dipstick correctly. The fluid is nearly clear and, well it's right on the line when you look at it correctly.