florida 'fast lane' min speed law

/ florida 'fast lane' min speed law #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
i see fl just passed a law that limits how slow you can go in the 'fast' lane. and it's a ticketable offense if you are under this limit with overtaking traffic behind you ( with limited exceptions ).

anyone think this one will stand a sniff test if tested?

/ florida 'fast lane' min speed law #2  
Most states have such laws. They have already passed the smell test. Now Florida being a big draw for "Snow Birders" who just love to travel along at a merry 50 mph in the passing lane and drive miles side by side with their friendly other "Snow Birder" my be in for a shock the next trip South.

/ florida 'fast lane' min speed law #3  
Sounds like tax by cops.

mark

/ florida 'fast lane' min speed law #5  
The law will probably stand. May even be a good thing. Tickets will be written. Fines will be collected. But remember these words of wisdom from comedian, Ron White:

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID! :rolleyes:

/ florida 'fast lane' min speed law #6  
While I'm no fan of gubmint over-regulation/taxes (Joe Canuck here, got a surplus of both), I think this type of law has some merit on expressways.

Expressways were designed and built for high speed driving. IMO, if a vehicle or driver can not maintain a reasonable minimum speed, then they should not be on an expressway - at an absolute minimum, they need to be in the right lane. Obviously, the LEOs should apply common sense - bad road/weather/visibility conditions are viable reasons for driving slowly.

As has been beaten to death in other threads, the concept of lane discipline is typically an oxymoron in N. America. Ergo, these laws get drafted.

Excessively high speed is an intuitive cause of accidents. What is not so obvious is that once a vehicle's speed drops too far below the nominal speed of traffic on an expressway, then the accident rate also goes up noticeably.

Rgds, D.

/ florida 'fast lane' min speed law #7  
Most states have such laws.

Yep, I know Texas has had similar laws for at least 49 years; and probably a lot more.

/ florida 'fast lane' min speed law #8  
Yes, Texas used to have a minimum speel limit on all highways. The speed limit signs used to read such as "Speed Limit 65, Night 60, Minimum Speed 45" That was even for the slower lanes. I think those signs began disappearing with the Speed Limit 55, that was shoved on us years ago. At least now, we have our speed limits back up, on highways. We just need to get minimum speeds posted and enforced again too.

/ florida 'fast lane' min speed law #9  
Whether there are minimum speed limits posted or not, there are some requirements that I'm afraid many people are not familiar with. For one example, Sec. 545.051, (b) of the Transportation Code says:

An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:

(1) passing another vehicle; or

(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

And in addition to that:

Sec. 545.363. MINIMUM SPEED REGULATIONS. (a) An operator may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(b) When the Texas Transportation Commission, the Texas Turnpike Authority, the commissioners court of a county, or the governing body of a municipality, within the jurisdiction of each, as applicable, as specified in Sections 545.353 to 545.357, determines from the results of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on a part of a highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the commission, authority, county commissioners court, or governing body may determine and declare a minimum speed limit on the highway.

(c) If appropriate signs are erected giving notice of a minimum speed limit adopted under this section, an operator may not drive a vehicle more slowly than that limit except as necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

I think the last revision to these laws was in 1995, but they're basically the same as they were many years before that.

/ florida 'fast lane' min speed law #10  
Bird; That means the cop traveling at the speed limit on I-20 the other day was breaking the rules. He was impeding the flow of the rest of the traffic! :laughing: