Floor jack

/ Floor jack #11  
He needed a new jack and it's so much safer to not be using wooden blocks to lift anything. Somebody will come up with replacement wheels or some other mod.

/ Floor jack #12  
He needed a new jack and it's so much safer to not be using wooden blocks to lift anything. Somebody will come up with replacement wheels or some other mod.
First thing I did when I got my horizontal band saw (harbor freight) was to throw away junky plastic wheels for "real" wheels.... Yeah I know not best saw in the world but if you don't abuse it its ok for occasional use....

Wheels!

/ Floor jack #13  
HF's stepped up the quality of many of their products.
Way up I might add and their prices are still not out of line far as I'm concerned. I'm a devout Harbor Freight junkie and ITC member as well. They still sell, some cheap junk but they also sell dam good stuff as well, and the Daytona jacks are good stuff and I have one and it's 5 years old and no issues at all. Their high line welders are also very good, Just bought a Vulcan Pro-Tig 205 amp inverter machine and a Titanium plasma cutter and their Vulcan welding roll around welding cabinet and it's all first rate equipment and has a 3 year replacement guarantee as well. The Vulcan welding cabinet is especially nice and comes 90% assembled and everything lines up perfectly and the powder coat finish s better than the paint in my car. Amazing stuff. Soft close drawers, locking side cabinet and lined shelves too, plus it will carry 3 welding machines and 2 gas bottles, I have it loaded up with 3 process welders and a pair of gas bottles and it still rolls effortlessly on ball bearing wheels with brakes so you can lock it down and it was on sale as an ITC item so it was under 400 bucks and worth every penny I paid for it. Interestingly, when I got the cabinet home, I could not unlock the cabinet door, wrong set of keys, so I returned it to the store and the manager gave me a new one in the shipping box, no questions asked. No hassles, nothing. Just took the old new one back and walked out with a new one (that actually had the right keys with it). Of course I had to finish the assembly on the replacement one, oh well.

Additionally, I sold my Hypertherm 60 amp computer driven plasma cutter and my Lincoln Square Wave TIG machine and bought the new Vulcan 205 Pro Tig inverter machine and the Titanium 60 amp inverter driven digital encoded plasma cutter with a built in plasma table interface. The Pro Tig is much more versatile and is 100% digitally encoded plus it's much more efficient power wise than the Lincoln Square Wave TIG machine and the consumables for the Titanium Plasma cutter are around 1/3rd the cost of the Hyper Therm consumables, which is actually why I sold it. I use a ton of consumables so the cost versus cost pushed me to sell it and the Titanium is 100% CNC plasma table interfaceable just like the Hyper Therm was. Finally, the icing on the cake was, I sold both the Lincoln and the Hyper Therm and pocketed an additional 2 grand over the cost of the new inverter machines and I have the added 3 year replacement warranty, no questions asked on both if them, which is actually better than the Lincoln or HT warranty is/ was.

All in, with new gas bottles ( I sold the existing gas bottles with the existing machines), I'm into just about 4 grand total for new state of the art inverter machines, new owned 120 cubic foot filled bottles and the roll around cart. Always been **** about my gas bottles and I don't like renting beat up gas bottles so I buy them outright and have my LWS who has a compressor facility fill them for me. Not bad and I purchased the Pro-Tig on sale (ITC) at 400 bucks off regular price. My ITC yearly membership for my wife and I is 29 bucks which is chump change compared to what I saved in the machines and I like the full digital encoding on the Pro Tig as well as the already programmed in weld parameters which I like to use for most steel and aluminum TIG welding., and it comes complete to weld with. DINSE 150 amp torch, foot pedal, ground clamp and lead and even a SWAW stinger for stick welding with low hydrogen rod. Even comes with a gas regulator and the gas hose that I don't use anyway. I prefer a rubber gas hose and a flow meter versus a dial gage and it ships with extra collets, back caps, gas lenses and some tungsten that I tossed as I only use Midwest Tungsten. Plasma cutter comes with a built in air dryer, DINSE plasma torch, stand off, ground clamp and extra consumables and both will run on a 20 amp fused 110-1 line but I run everything on a 220-1, 50 amp circuit anyway and the plasma cutter already has a factory installed plasma table interface so it's 100% plug and play.

Very happy with the performance of both machines. Quite capable and I can weld anything that conducts electricity, including copper and titanium and being inverter machines, both are very efficient in electrical consumption.

Next up is one of their Gen 3 General Tool cabs, possibly a triple bank roll around as my long in the tooth Waterloo cab is getting pretty ratty but it has to go on sale in the ITC flyer first.

I love HF and their tools.

/ Floor jack #14  
Sharp looking and looks well build (y) also have older style like your orange one.

/ Floor jack #15  
I bought a slightly different option for an "OFF ROAD" floor jack.
I had a 3 ton steel floor jack, but, like others, found it was almost impossible to move on gravel.

So,, i bought a 1.5 ton ALL ALUMINUM (mostly) floor jack.
That thing can be used on gravel, and, it is far lower profile than the 3 ton.
(I have one car the 3 ton jack would not fit under)

Back when,, I paid about $125 for the aluminum jack.
(very few vehicles weigh over 3000 pounds for half of the weight of the vehicle)

I still go for the steel 3 ton when I am on concrete,, but, if I gotta use a jack away from the main shop,, I use the aluminum one.

/ Floor jack #16  
First thing I did when I got my horizontal band saw (harbor freight) was to throw away junky plastic wheels for "real" wheels.... Yeah I know not best saw in the world but if you don't abuse it its ok for occasional use....

Wheels!
You are aware that Tractor Supply carries in stock, a wide variety of casters and wheels as well?

/ Floor jack #17  
Hmmmmm,,
is it possible that those wheels "squat" allowing the load of the jack be transmitted through the belly pan,, not the wheels?

If you put rigid wheels on the jack, it may not work,,,

/ Floor jack #18  
You are aware that Tractor Supply carries in stock, a wide variety of casters and wheels as well?
Yep...And local store always has odd assortment, either to big or to small and by chance if I do find the size I want, if I want 2 there is only one in the bin, if I want 4 then there is usually only 3 in bin.... The local TSC sucks.....Usually is out of stock specifically what I am looking for.....And trying to find pair of swivel caster that match a pair of straight caster just does not happen.... There is supposed to be a new TSC that is better a bit west of us, but its 40 miles away....

Bottom line is it is easier to sit behind computer screen and order exactly size and quantity I want.....

Last edited:
   / Floor jack #19  
I fully understand that. Our local TSC is the same deal. They seem to have everything you don't need but nothing you do need. We call the local TSC...'Tough Shitte Charlies', where everything is either scratched, dented or broken and to top it off, none of the 'associates' know where anything is and don't even want to help you.

All too busy playing on their phones or playing with themselves or hiding somewhere. Really a crappy store, filled with mostly Chinese products that are strewn about everywhere. Only thing I buy there is bird seed and gear lube. Looks good on the outside but inside, it's a disaster.

Did get a good deal on a Hobart self darkening hood the other day. I think it was mis marked but I kept my yap shut about it and paid for it and smiled to myself as I walked out.

Normally, I don't do that but in this case I felt justified. Been screwed many times there so turn about is fair play in my book. Tit for tat as they say. and I've always liked Hobart stuff anyway. I own 2 of their high output gas MIG welding machines and both have extremely good wet out and produce a stable arc with little to no spatter. I've literally run the balls out of them for ten years now and many bottles of 75-25 and countless 10 pound spools of 035 solid wire with zero issues. Never even replaced a gun liner or a drive roll.

Zero replacements and they both run excellent and I usually have them flat out or close to flat out at 210 amps. I do a lot of spray arc with them in heavy gage steel plate and that requires a minimum of 200 amps, so they get run balls to the wall almost constantly. Great machines, for basically inefficient transformer machines. They do get warm but I've never bumped the duty cycle on either machine that I can remember.

If you need a bullet proof wire machine I recommend them 100%. You can run solid wire and gas or flux core in 030-035 or 040, and they interface with the Miller Spool Runner aluminum wire gun that I don't require as I do aluminum with TIG anyway. Little light amperage wise for serious spray arc but doable if you know what you are doing and prep the steel correctly.

/ Floor jack
Hadn’t seen any complaints about the poly wheels. Time will tell if they are durable. Rest of the jack is built pretty well.