Floating docks

/ Floating docks #11  
Lived lakeside since 1957 and built many docks from used hydro poles, 45 gal drums and currently foam filled poly floatation devices.
At one time we even used 10 inch X 2 ft x 8ft foam slabs or blocks which worked very well until
environment banned them.

We never removed them for winter.

By far the best is the manmade poly floats. (they are buoyancy rated as well)
The wider squarer your dock the more stable it will be.
A nice basic size is 12 ft x 12 ft but bigger is more stable.
20 x 20 would be a nice very stable platform.
I'd suggest 8 floatation devices with 3 per side but NONE in the center.
Center will simply create a pivot point or axis for which the dock to rotate over.
You want to basically build a huge pallet like structure* and fasten your man made floatation to the underside, flip it over and add your decking.
Galvanized corner hardware is now available as well and sure makes life easy.
Remember to use wood treatment in all drilled holes.
Pressure treated wood is my go to lumber.

A note, poly filled is great for bodies of water that freeze in winter as ice can't crush them2 but I'd suggest not needed in southern climates.

* bottom planks spaced to receive the floatation devices and serve for rigidity as well.

/ Floating docks #12  
If you don't get filled one, even in summer, if something pierces it, it's done for.

/ Floating docks #13  
I have an all aluminum floating dock and walk way. The dock is 10 x 16. Purchased new in 1992. It has a "Teck wood" deck and walk way. It's that wood product made out of old cigarette butts.

My lake will get up to 14" of ice. The ice - for reasons ukn - will never freeze up tight to the floats. So I can go out in the middle of the winter and make the dock bounce up/down.

It's an excellent dock. Requires zero maintenance. Probably not big enough to become a "party barge". Being all aluminum it's not real heavy. One person jumping up/down on the very edge would upset your party.
IMG_0150.JPG

/ Floating docks
All piers/docks where I go have to be floating and the are all pretty similar. They will have 2 or more posts that keep it from moving laterally or downstream. Those posts just get shoved or driven into the muddy bottom and the pier then is able to ride up/down on those guide posts. The OP should have 4 posts on the deck and maybe 2 more on the walkway. If you want to move it, pull the posts and float it away. The guides on the dock should be about 16" long that ride up/down on the posts.
Question: The 16" guides that ride up and down on the posts - How much clearance should they have? 4" x 4" posts are 3 1/2" square. How big should the guides be? I'm sure they would need to be big enough not to bind.

/ Floating docks #15  
Most of them here are round metal posts because they slide easy and they should not float. There needs to be plenty of clearance and movement because a floating pier will really move if big boats are near by.

/ Floating docks #16  
My 2 cents is to look for a source of FRP grating for the deck itself.

/ Floating docks #17  
My family has a home at the lake of the ozarks...and this is what all of the docks and boat lifts are made of:

these make the dock very stable and the only movement is the occasional large wave (not people moving around on the dock).

the dock is then secured to land via a walkway and three or four metal cables secured to the dock From the sea wall. Those cables and the walkway pretty much hold the dock in place.

For a relatively calm lake, I do not see a need for driving piles to secure the dock...it’s not like you are in the ocean where the water rises and falls feet at a time.

We have a place at the Lake near the 10 mile mark on the main channel. The Lake is crazy with all the huge boats. Really really rough water. We are halfway into a cove and it’s ok. But it’s a blast in the summer.

MoKelly

/ Floating docks
Most of them here are round metal posts because they slide easy and they should not float. There needs to be plenty of clearance and movement because a floating pier will really move if big boats are near by.
Big boats and wakes are no problem. There are only 3 owners of the actual lake and we have agreed to no gasoline powered boats in the lake, only electric trolling motors or paddle power.

/ Floating docks #19  
Big boats and wakes are no problem. There are only 3 owners of the actual lake and we have agreed to no gasoline powered boats in the lake, only electric trolling motors or paddle power.

Then you are in great shape.

Good luck.

MoKelly

/ Floating docks #20  

If the lake bottom right near the shore is flat enough and shallow enough, build a crib dock and attach a floater, all using PT lumber and closed-cell foam floatation. Very cheap, and very easy to make.