Flail mower problem

/ Flail mower problem #1  

gtrippleb

Gold Member
Tractor
NH T2320 TL
I picked up a used value leader/betstco 53" flail mower a few months ago. I've used it about 3 times now. Before my first mowing I greased it and checked the pto gearbox which seemed like it had plenty of gear oil in it.

The last time I used it, I noticed while mowing that it seemed like the rotor isn't being turned by the belts anymore when there is pressure against the knives. The grass isn't being cut anymore and just from the slight vibration from the PTO moving at 540rpms, it seems like the rotor is kind of in a free turning mode. I took the belt cover off and I can move the belts and the rotor will move.

It almost seems almost like the pulley rotates the rotor shaft just enough to rotate but once it's under load, it might be slipping. I can hear the knives clank when I turn the pto off and the pto comes to a stop so it sounds like the rotor is turning. I noticed that when I lifted it off the ground and went over some small gravel, that I flung some gravel which also led me to believe the rotor is still turning.

It doesn't look like there is much to the mower so my thought is that either my blades are really dull, or some how I managed to break a key on a shaft so that the shaft still turns unless there is a slight load.

When I first got the mower I was trying to see where the best poisition on the 3pt was and in doing so, I mowed the ground a few times. I'm wondering if this may have been what caused my problem.

I thought I had read somewhere on TBN or somewhere else that there is a common bearing failure with these if not greased properly but I don't seem to find the thread anymore. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

/ Flail mower problem #2  
My guess... "break a key on a shaft" Can you run it with the belt cover off?

I've seen two lawn mowers with the blades on backwards...:mur: I'm just saying...

/ Flail mower problem #3  
When you engage the PTO does it pull the engine down just a bit?
It should if you haven't sheared anything.
A flail is quiet (relatively) but you should still be able to hear it running at full song.
Ditto on running it with the belt cover removed to see if everything turns.

There has to be more to this. A flail is really simple.
If it turns, it cuts grass, even with dull blades.

PS,
I've "mowed" the ground lots of times.
lots of dust and squealing belts but otherwise, no biggie :)

/ Flail mower problem
When you engage the PTO does it pull the engine down just a bit?
It should if you haven't sheared anything.
A flail is quiet (relatively) but you should still be able to hear it running at full song.
Ditto on running it with the belt cover removed to see if everything turns.

There is quite a bit of difference in the noise from when I first mowed with it and when I run it now. It made more noise the first time I mowed with it. Now, it barely makes any noise. Hence the free wheeling reference.

I would have to say no to the pto pulling the engine down when I turn the pto on.

I haven't tried to run it with the belt cover off yet. The only thing I did was remove the belt cover and then tried to move the rotor by pulling on one side of the belts. Which I did see the rotor moving but since the pto shaft was still hooked up. It would only move so far. I didn't think about it until now to put the pto in the mid position to free the rear pto. Which should allow me to rotate the belts more.

I might have a chance to mess with it tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions

/ Flail mower problem #5  
I would give Keith a call at Betstco. They know their products well and stock a lot of spare parts.:thumbsup: I don't have the phone # handy, but he sells a lot on ebay, and lists his contact info there. Betstco is in Creswell, Or., just south of Eugene on I-5....Dan.

/ Flail mower problem #6  
With the tractor shut off,the mower raised and supported with jackstands and the PTO enguaged see if you can turn the drum the blades are mounted to. You shouldn't be able to. If it does turn look to seee if the drive pully is turning. If the pully isn't turning but the shaft on the drum is you sheared a key.
Bill

/ Flail mower problem #7  
When mine does that, it means the cheap V-belts I bought have stretched some more. I just tighten the idler pulley another few turns and go back to mowing. They'll eventually break, then I'll put on the proper banded belt that's supposed to be on there in the first place.

//greg//

/ Flail mower problem #8  
Keith, Betstco
1-877-876-7895 ext.312

/ Flail mower problem #9  
I'm thinking Greg has the right idea: check the belt tension or just tighten it a bit and see if it doesn't change performance.

/ Flail mower problem
When mine does that, it means the cheap V-belts I bought have stretched some more. I just tighten the idler pulley another few turns and go back to mowing. They'll eventually break, then I'll put on the proper banded belt that's supposed to be on there in the first place.

//greg//

This seem to have worked. I didn't think they were that loose but after tighting them, the mower is back to working properly. It looks it might be time for some new belts as I tightened them and then mowed some and noticed it wasn't cutting very well again so I tightened them again. Once again it was cutting.

Is there a point that it can be to tight?