First tractor - did you buy too big or too small?

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #21  
Our place came with Sears 42" lawn tractor. I kept that thing running for 3 years using a welder and lot of ingenuity. It was breaking all the time, since we have 4 acres of farm land - and the lawn tractor was built for suburbs.

Two years ago I found Kubota B1750 - 20HP - with MMM used at the local dealer and you can say it is a little bit of an overkill for us - but I am very happy with and always amazed what it can do.

It does not hurt to have little bit too much of a toy - I mean tool.:D

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #22  
3RRL said:
Some chores could have been done with a smaller tractor and then again, some needed a larger one. ...

Some thoughts on convenience...
A QA bucket.
An EZ change system fro the 3pt.
Front and rear hydraulics for additional implements.
A hydro trans for loader work
Plenty of weight, traction and hp
Various implements as you need them and can afford them or build/make them.

I agree with 3RRL. I find my 20hp CK20 to be very capable and about the right size but it is true that sometimes you want bigger and sometimes smaller. I'd like bigger when I am pushing over trees and smaller when mowing around the house. Overall I like the compromise and would buy the same size again to work my 5 acres.

I think the bigger issue is how well you set up your tractor to do the chores/work you have in mind. I heartly endorse a QA adapter for the FEL even for smaller tractors. There are companies now that make smaller grapples, 4n1 buckets, forks etc that can really make jobs go a lot faster than a larger tractor without the correct implement. Getting the most out of your hydraulics is also important and having at least one rear set of ports allows use of many helpful implements.

After using my tractor over the past 150hrs my major lesson has been that you should focus more on the whole package; tractor, implements and how they fit together rather than just on the horsepower factor.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #23  
When I was a kid (had to walk a mile to the school bus, and it was uphill both ways) all we could afford for our eating garden was a 1.5 hp Sears walk behind tractor. It plowed and disc'd, but you had to push it a lot.

Mike

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #24  
jk96:

My first tractor was a Ford 1100 (13/11+ HP). I used it to maintain my 12.5 A's for ~20 years. Last year I purchased a brand new NH TC29DA (29/23+ HP). At times- on slopes and in woods I miss the old Ford. If the Ford had had a FEL I would probably still be using it. Jay

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #25  
When we moved to our place 35 years ago. Bought a Farmall Cub. Cut the lawn and did all kinds of work with it. 2 years later sold the Cub and bought a 1958 Farmall 340. That tractor lasted until 2000. Bought the B2910. Its a down size from the 340. But also had a B7100HST for smaller task. The B2910 is about in middle of the 2 tractors for size.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #26  
ronjhall said:
When we moved to our place 35 years ago. Bought a Farmall Cub.
When we moved to our place 40years agol last June. Bought the 1966 Bolens 850 we still have .
Over the 4o years have added 4 more tractors.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #27  
mrutkaus said:
When I was a kid (had to walk a mile to the school bus, and it was uphill both ways) all we could afford for our eating garden was a 1.5 hp Sears walk behind tractor. It plowed and disc'd, but you had to push it a lot.

Mike

I had to walk 2 miles to school (there weren't no buss) And it was up hill both ways which wasn't so bad except trudging through a foot of snow in the dark on those scorching 90 degree July days.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #28  
In 2000 I bought a JD 4700 and attachments. I wanted to max out the PTO HP, get the biggest tractor I could get yet it could not be too big since it would be in the woods.

After 700 hours I can still say I got the right tractor. :D

Its big enough to do what has been needed to be done. I have had used the tractor right up to the edge of its capabilities. During those times it would have been nice to have more tractor but what I have got the job done and this has not happened often.

I ended up with a 5' 4n1 bucket. I wanted smaller/lighter so I could lift more. Yet I need 6' to cover the tires. Sometimes I need 5' sometimes 6'. No right answer there except to have two! :D

The one thing we should have done sooner was get pallet forks for the tractor. Those things are just so danged useful.

I see the need for more hydraulic GPM but it has not been a problem with the equipment we have.

Unlike Goldilocks we got it right on the first try. :)

Later,
Dan

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #29  
My tractor, a Kubota B8200 is perfect sized. What I find though, is I want more HP. Mine is 3 generations previous to the B2910. It is the same size, and overall build. But, while the B2910 is like 30hp, mine is 19hp... Can't fault the tractor; it is like a tank. It could use a few more ponies though.

When I got it, I had learned a lot from this site(it was a previous Kubota only rendition; the site has changed a lot over the years). But, I had no expierience. I am happy with this tractor, but to do it over again would get same saize but more HP. I got it used, and was somewhat limited by availability locally at the time.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #30  
how about just right.....

for now......

I know i needed something larger than an SCUT..... but couldnt justify the large frame CUT....

If i add more acers in the future to support pasture pets ill likely upgrade at that time.