First tractor - did you buy too big or too small?

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
How many TBN'rs bought too small of a tractor on first purchase? How many bought too big? Just curious what others experience was since most advice here seems to be buy bigger than you think you need.

I bought a DX24 case and traded it back in after one year and 240 hours on a bigger case DX33.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #2  
Quite a few years ago I started with a Farmall H, then a Ferguson 30, next came a 4wd JD 870, and now have a Kioti cab tractor with 45 hp. I used these tractors to maintain 100 acres and at the time I was satisfied with each one. I don't think I will ever go bigger than the 45 hp., it seems to fit my needs.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #3  
I would say I bought the right sized tractor
But i definately made some mistakes
So

8x8 is not enough gears. Get at least 12x12 or HST
There's just a huge gap between 4th and 5th.

Get a quick attach bucket, it would be totally worth the extra money just for the flexibility and other options.

If you have the option to get more HP is exactly the same chassis (one up is turbo'd for example), do it. extra HP is always useful and the size you already decided on.

My neighbor has a SCUT and it has the stupidest 3point hookup ever. Make sure the 3point is easily adjustable to move the arms back and forth (esp on Cat 1 where you tend to have to do that a lot). Mine takes 5 minutes, his takes 30 minutes or more. terrible design. Make sure the 3 point is easy to use and change out.

Buy all your attachments with the tractor, they are way more willing to deal.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #4  
I almost bought a NH TC40D (lovely tractor) but fell into a NH TN70A (used at a great price) that I bought. I would have been happy with the TC40D, but I am glad I went with the TN70A. The extra weight and HP of the TN has been wonderful.
Bob

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #5  
I've only ever bought 1 tractor,a JD 4110,after a year and a half,I think I made the right choice. I only have 4 acres to play on.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #6  
Still have mine some 36 years after first buying it. It must fit in OK.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #7  
My first tractor, a Gravely, was too small after I got used to what I wanted to do. Bought a 4010, smallest with full Cat 1 hitch, at the time. It's a perfect fit for what I need to do on 8.5 acres and across trails of another 100 acres or so.

Neighbor asked me about digging up some stumps. Advised him that a FEL is not good for that: needs to rent a back hoe. Exactly what I'll do if I need one. Same for a trench digger, etc. A tractor you use all the time doesn't have to do everything, like my Tacoma won't do all the truck things one needs to do. You can rent stuff for the infrequent things. No sense wasting the planets limited fuel resources in lugging a big tractor or big truck around, just because you need to RARELY need some big power.

I'm against bigger, badder stuff. Most of you probably buy them just to brag. Think about the earth and its resources. Smaller is better, unless it just won't do your everyday work.

Ralph

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #8  
Mine is a 28hp and at times it's too big and other times too small. It must be about right. We have 11+ acres and lease another 6+- with mostly rough mowing.

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #9  
I originally started looking at the little grey market tractors that go for a couple thousand. Then the uncertainty of spare parts, etc got me to looking at the JD 790. Then the JD 4300 with HST VS the Kubota 3010 both HST. I wound up buying the L3410HST with R4's and loader.

Looking back, I should have gotten the L3710 HST with R1's and loader. That would have only cost a few hundred more (cheaper tires) and would be a better fit to many of my tasks.

But, the 3410 has muddled thru some awfully big jobs. Just takes a different approach and 2x the time.

Now there is an old Ford 4140 4speed with sherman combo in the barn keeping the Kubota company. It has a much bigger loader and a hoe. But 2wd. It is really truly stunning the difference in capability between the two when using the loader. The Kubota has 1/2 the bucket capacity, but can move dirt faster. Much faster.

So, the smaller Kubota can out work the larger Ford in some cases, so bigger alone isn't the end all.

Last point, If you are contemplating using the tractor at 90+% of the rated capacity, try and buy one size larger that puts it at 80% of capacity. For instance, my 5' cutter needs 25-30 pto hp. The tractor has 27.5. It's at 98% of capacity (or over it's head). A larger tractor with 35 pto hp would be at 70% or 85% and would not have to struggle. It may have greater longevity. Or you have room to grow into new uses.

jb

/ First tractor - did you buy too big or too small? #10  
You need an assortment of tractors, sort of like your footwear. One pair of footwear does not fit all your needs does it ?
A man cannot have too many tractors :D