First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer?

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #31  
concrete or not. friction pile will do ya..

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #33  
Not sure what you mean. (not sure I understand the lingo)
He probably means friction on the pilings [posts, uprights, etc] will hold them.

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #34  
   / First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #35  
Interesting to better understand piles as explained in SG's second link. Struck a chord with me because of a fascination with building the Brooklyn Bridge, no less. Why? Built in the days of horse & rope tackle, and ultimately strung with inferior steel cables (excess sulphur in steel way back when ring a bell, or unscrupulous inspectors?) there was concern when digging the piles. Here's the bit: One dig found bedrock at a convenient depth (end friction) but not so the other, where side friction is relied on to support the deeper pile and all substructure on a questionably-stable river bottom. btw: Neither Robeling or government officials would have bet their bones that this American icon would be standing today, but it is. :thumbsup:

Can't imagine drilling with the PHD and not working the throttle continuously, backing off a bit (rpm) when lifting to clear each 'peck' or givin' 'er more when going in to prevent stalling as needed. I've 'drilled' dozens with an 'Earthquake' hand-held auger for every one done with tractor power, and obviously a helper to muscle auger & extension when pecking-in/out. If we get a rhythm going, 3 rotations then lift a foot or so, seems to clear best in all soils (sand or clay here, pick one, plenty of rocks everywhere in the GL basin) without rattling loose soil to fall back or over-widening the top of the hole. I'm convinced that moderation will allow some compaction in the sides vs wobbling a crater, and bet the OP got a feel for that by the 3rd or 4th hole.

Sleuth, I'd also bet the next six holes you dig take half the effort of the first few. (You go, man!) btw, guys: I never asked my 'rebar' guy about heavy mesh like that. Is that where to look for it, or is it 'ag' stuff that TSC or someone would offer?

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #36  
yup. adding a side load to a pile really makes it grab!

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer?
Updated photos...

Had to go out and buy a grommet kit and elastic straps today. My tarps are over-sized and I need to trim them down. Then have to build the rear window shutter and cover the tarps in chicken wire. Need to back-fill in the spaces around the base. Then sand & gravel on the floor, followed by a bunch of pavers I have laying around. Also need to build roosts and nest boxes.

Going to have to pause a couples weeks on a few of these steps as I've still got too much month at the end of the money.
10176062_10152734750109409_2611192855819849404_n.jpg
10269415_10152735523319409_4033348607860567417_n.jpg
10152656_10152734749684409_1039505089436089603_n.jpg
1902934_10152735542239409_8354555799740568505_n.jpg

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #38  
Are you sure you have enough ventilation for the hot months? Do the sides roll up? Are you planning to bluid a pen outside for the birds?

Kirk

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer?
Are you sure you have enough ventilation for the hot months? Do the sides roll up? Are you planning to bluid a pen outside for the birds?

Kirk

I am undecided yet on building a pen or free-ranging them. If I don't build a pen, I have to fence in my garden.

As far as ventilation goes, this thing is in the shade during the hot months and besides it leaks like a sieve all the way around. The birds were cold last night - all huddled in a corner - so I had to put in heat lamps and break a bale of straw for them. I walked outside and there were all kinds of draft sources lit up. I'm going to have a lot of work to do to get it ready for winter.

I have ventilation at the top of the arch on both ends. I have a larger window on the back wall. I could remove the glass from the front door and replace it with open windows. Do not plan on rolling up the sides.

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #40  
tip. birds like to roost too.. give them some roosting spots. keep their foot size in mind for comfort. and don't use metal pole. it gets cold and hot.