First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else?

/ First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else? #1  

prometheus303

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 2515R
I'm looking to buy a tractor for the first time. I have been looking around. I have consider Badboy 4025, RK37, RK25. I think I want either T474 or T494. It has the Kukje engine which is mechanical fuel injection. The engine it self does not require all of the computer electronics for it to run. It's a simpler engine. Since this is my first barbecue I would love some input if anybody has experiences with this tractor or TYM in general. Also in suggestion of alternates to T474 or T494.

thanks

/ First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else? #2  
IF you're going to buy a TYM product, I would say DO NOT buy an RK even though it is made by TYM. Buy a TYM, then they will back the product, not RK. I have a T474, but if you can afford it....get the one frame size up T494. It lifts more on FEL and 3 point, it is heavier weight wise etc etc. I have the T474 and it has been a really good tractor to me, I bought in July 1, 2020 and I now have 190h on it without a single issue. I bought it for the same reason you mentioned regarding the old skool IDI Kukje engine.

/ First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else?
IF you're going to buy a TYM product, I would say DO NOT buy an RK even though it is made by TYM. Buy a TYM, then they will back the product, not RK. I have a T474, but if you can afford it....get the one frame size up T494. It lifts more on FEL and 3 point, it is heavier weight wise etc etc. I have the T474 and it has been a really good tractor to me, I bought in July 1, 2020 and I now have 190h on it without a single issue. I bought it for the same reason you mentioned regarding the old skool IDI Kukje engine.
thanks for the input

/ First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else? #4  
LS is one of the fastest growing brands around. I would look at what dealers you have around you in a set radius, hopefully 30 or 60 miles and go to each in person and discuss with them what your needs are. You want a dealer that you feel confident will be there for you with parts and repairs/warranty in a timely fashion and at a decent price more than I would care about what brand.

/ First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else?
LS is one of the fastest growing brands around. I would look at what dealers you have around you in a set radius, hopefully 30 or 60 miles and go to each in person and discuss with them what your needs are. You want a dealer that you feel confident will be there for you with parts and repairs/warranty in a timely fashion and at a decent price more than I would care about what brand.
Thanks

/ First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else? #6  
This might be a good time to share some infor on the construction equipment industry. Back in the 60's, Caterpillar dominated the industry. Around the world, from the frozen tundra of Alaska to the deserts of Africa, Cat could deliver any repair part within 24 hours. The construction industry depended on Cat to deliver and woe to the procurement office that purchased equipment other than Cat and then had to deal with down equipment and men who couldn't work.
Komatsu wanted in.
But it would not be enough to follow Cat's game plan. Komatsu didn't have the money to stock parts depots around the world. And if they did - that only made them the same as Caterpillar. Why buy an unknown name when all it could offer was the same as the market leader ?
Komatsu decided the way they would compete would be with machines that didn't break. They engineered assemblies with fewer parts, and heavied up on the quality of the parts they did use.
Today, Caterpillar is still the largest construction equipment in the world.
Komatsu is 2nd.

/ First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else? #7  
This might be a good time to share some infor on the construction equipment industry. Back in the 60's, Caterpillar dominated the industry. Around the world, from the frozen tundra of Alaska to the deserts of Africa, Cat could deliver any repair part within 24 hours. The construction industry depended on Cat to deliver and woe to the procurement office that purchased equipment other than Cat and then had to deal with down equipment and men who couldn't work.
Komatsu wanted in.
But it would not be enough to follow Cat's game plan. Komatsu didn't have the money to stock parts depots around the world. And if they did - that only made them the same as Caterpillar. Why buy an unknown name when all it could offer was the same as the market leader ?
Komatsu decided the way they would compete would be with machines that didn't break. They engineered assemblies with fewer parts, and heavied up on the quality of the parts they did use.
Today, Caterpillar is still the largest construction equipment in the world.
Komatsu is 2nd.
Interesting, not sure how it relates to OP situation.

LS or the Parent company has been making tractors since the 70's, They started selling them under the LS badge since 2009 or so.
They offer similar capacity tractors with more features for much less money than Orange or Green for sure, at least in my area and that seems to be the consensus from people in other areas of the US as well.

Can't say anything about TYM as I don't see many of them around here.

Again, Best dealer experience would be a BIG factor in my decision.

/ First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else? #8  
Whatever you buy, unless it's an in stock unit, plan on waiting a while for it. Far as in stock, that is questionable as well. If you need it right away, I'd suggest perusing Tractor House and buying used.

/ First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else? #9  
None of these off brands are for sale anywhere around here. Kubota, JD, Agco are all nearby

/ First Time Tractor Purchase TYM? or something else? #10  
We have a TYM on the farm. It's just a little thing (23hp) with a loader, but it's been a decent tractor. I wouldn't put it in the same league as a JD, Kubota, or Massey, but it's ok. If you are looking at TYM and RK, don't bother with RK even though it's the same tractor, because the support system is really bad from Rural King. I'd put TYM and LS in the same tier, with LS being very slightly better, mostly due to dealer support and parts availability.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Pallet of (11) Assorted Come-a-Longs (A33349)
Pallet of (11)...
2004 Sterling Acterra (A32932)
2004 Sterling...
CAT D4E CRAWLER TRACTOR (A32908)
CAT D4E CRAWLER...
Boom Shredder (A33041)
Boom Shredder (A33041)
2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...
Grapple (A33041)
Grapple (A33041)