First Tank of E85

/ First Tank of E85 #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
I bought a new Silverado last year (2500HD, 6.0L gas, 6 speed auto, 4x4, ECSB) that has the option for running flex fuel. In my area, its difficult to find, so I have used regular gas, well E10, since new. Recently a few stations opened up E85 pumps (Mass Turnpike rest areas at Sturbridge) that I frequently pass. So tonight, I pulled off and filled up with E85 just to try it out.

First off, I had a little over 1/4 of a tank of regular gas (E10). I filled up with 22.75 gallons of E85. That makes a mixture of about 58% ethynol and 42% gas, or E58.

I pulled back onto the highway and continued my journey how for another 60 miles or so. What I have noticed is that in general, there is very little difference in performance. The truck has the same power, but I do notice that I need to step on the accelerator more from a stop than normal. Which contradicts its highway behavior because I felt I needed less pedal pressure on the hills than normal. There was no bucking or snorting or anything that indicated that the truck is adjusting to a new fuel.

A big difference is the sound. The truck is noticably quieter at idle and in low speed driving. I also do not hear the regular LS motor injector tick, which is usually very prevelant in this truck.

So far I've only got ~60 miles on this tank. I know I'll lose some mileage with this fuel, but I did some "spirited" driving to test the limits, so I expect miserable mileage. I'll update this thread as I burn through the fuel, but so far I'm pleased.

/ First Tank of E85 #2  
You shouldnt have any running troubles at all, it should be a seamless transition. The injector tick may have gone down due to the pulse widths being changed with needing more fuel to keep the A/F ratio near stoichi.

/ First Tank of E85 #3  
E85 will make slightly more power but you will get less mileage.

/ First Tank of E85 #4  
E85 will make slightly more power but you will get less mileage.

I ran nothing but E85 in my 2007 F150 4x4 SuperCrew for 6 months, about 8000 miles. It was 2/3rds the price of 87 octane back then. I got 11mpg. When the E85 price nearly caught the price of 87 I switched to regular gas and got 15.5mpg. Quite a difference. My co pilot at the time had a Yukon XL and got similar results.

Long story short, it has to be 2/3rds the price of 87 octane to make it cost effective

Chris

/ First Tank of E85 #5  
x2 didnt make money sense to me tried it in my Company van milage dropped from 24 ish to 19 ish wont try it again too frequent fill ups

/ First Tank of E85 #6  
x2 didnt make money sense to me tried it in my Company van milage dropped from 24 ish to 19 ish wont try it again too frequent fill ups

My uncle owns some stations. They love E85 because it brings you in more often. Gas is very low overhead but soda, candy, coffee, ect are high profit items.

Chris

/ First Tank of E85 #7  
I've always heard that E85 burns cooler than gas (less BTU's), thus making less power and less mpg's.

/ First Tank of E85 #8  
The more percentage of alcohol in petroleum fuel equates to less available energy. And, since, we the public, subsidize corn production with Federal programs it does cost us considerably more money in the overall equation. I am not attempting to start a flame war with this statement, rather simply directing the conversation to the actual bottom line. This does not address any any environmental issues, simply the economics.

/ First Tank of E85 #10  
It is somewhat popular among guys running forced induction. It does make power mainly because it has a higher octane rating.

E85 Fuel Conversion - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

I'd becareful with what you mean by "makes more power". The ethanol fuel doesnt make more power than gasoline fuel to fuel. You still need to modify an engine/tune it to take advantage of the higher octane rating of the alcohol fuel to make that power. Its not a dump in and make more power type of fuel. We had a car in the shop the other day where the calculated alcohol content was 66% according to the ECM and the vehicle ran extremely rich thinking it was fueled by a 66% alcohol fuel, turns out after a small fuel sample it wasnt anywhere close to 66%, they dont even sell E85 around here so I have no idea where they would have gotten it either.