Fireplace help

/ Fireplace help #1  

jims5acr

Tractor
Kubota B7500HST
I have my first fireplace in our house. Is there a trick to keep it burning longer? I seem to be adding wood every 10min to keep the fire going and that get to be a pain. Just wondering if there are some tricks like using a peice of green wood or if I just have to do the 10min thing. Thanks
Jim

/ Fireplace help #2  
Don't remove the ashes, and take out the grates if you have them. Let a few inches of ashes build up, and let the coals build up in the ashes. Years ago we heard about people banking the fire before they went to bed. I believe that was putting some ashes up over the coals so they would be there in the morning when a new supply of wood was added. You don't say what species of wood you are burning, but there are some (red oak, white oak) that are better than others (aspen, pine, fir, basswood, etc.) that are fast burning and a whole lot in between. The heavier the wood the better. The drier the wood the better. Once you have good layer of hot coals, then some wet wood (air dried at least a year) can be added to sustain the fire. Keep the coals the back, and control the air that is getting to the fire. More air, the hotter the fire, and the faster the wood will burn. Grates are perfect for burning wood fast. Take them out or let the ashes build up so there is very little space beneath them. They are only good for starting a fire if one uses a big wad of crumpled up newspapers, and want a way to get them under the wood.
My experience with fireplaces is I kept mine going in the 70's from the middle of Sept. to the beginning of May for several winters without (except for very few times) it going out, and that meant stretches of 8-9 hours with no wood added. I burn only red and white oak, dried under cover for a minimum of 3 years. Keep an eye on the condition of the chimney. It will clean itself via a chimney fire if you don't clean it first. The chimney fire is not the preferred way. I hope this helps some. It's an art that will take some time to learn, but its great to have the fireplace going.

/ Fireplace help #3  
My first thought would be to choke down the oxygen to the fire. Close the doors, shut off the fresh air intake, etc. Just don't do it to the point that the fire enters the smolder stage, or you'll get a backdraft situation. (I doubt you'll kill it that bad)
Maybe try some different kind of wood. I have a new house with a ceramic gas log set. I have been thinking about removing the ceramic set, and just burning real wood. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle. Everyone I know that burns wood says I'm better with the gas set. (no maintenance)

Hope that helps
-Ben

/ Fireplace help #4  
I'm assuming from your post that you just have an open fireplace. This is probably about as inefficient as you can get and provides little heat value. Couple things you can do is to get yourself some fireplace doors. These are typically glass doors (heat tempered) that provide a little bit of air restriction to the fire. The more air a fire gets, the faster it burns. The next best thing to do is to get yourself a fireplace insert. In my part of the country there are restrictions on these and need to be certified. Some models are more efficient (air tight) than others and provide more heat and longer burning. Some also provide electric blowers to distribute the heat. I have a Jotul woodstove in my home and have been using almost daily when someones around. It is fairly efficient and provides enough heat for the main parts of my house. I help it out with a small 'clip' fan nearby to move the air over the stove. Wood type also plays a part in heat and burn time. I am using up my alder wood right now and is nowhere near the quality that my maple or fir provides. Wish I had oak.

/ Fireplace help #5  
jims5acr
You've already got good advice, I'll just "double up" on cutting back on the combustion air. I'd caution against burning the green wood due to buildup of creosote. A little more info. on what you have would help.
regards
Mutt

/ Fireplace help
I only have a screen on the front, would closing the flue(sp) do that also? I am not sure what kind of wood it was, just a tree I cut down about 8 months ago ( I know it was not pine). What would be good wood in my area (florida)?

/ Fireplace help #7  
NO, DONT CLOSE THE FLUE, YOU WILL SMOKE YOURSELF OUT OF THE HOUSE. THERE IS VERY LITLE HEAT GENERATED BY A FIRE PLACE. WOULD YOU LIKE MORE HEAT AND LESS WOOD, IF SO GET A TIGHT FIREPLACE INSERT OR STOVE. THESE WORK MUCH MORE EFFICIENTLY AND YOU CAN CONTROL THE BURN RATE BY CONTROLLING THE DAMPER. THAT WOULD HELP YOU AND WITH A SET OF GLASS DOORS YOU CAN STILL GET THE VISUAL FROM THE FIRE.

ALEX

/ Fireplace help #8  
jims5acr
There's a wealth of info. at this site
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://woodheat.org/>http://woodheat.org/</A>
The section on firewood lists common types and btu's. Tons of good info in their links also.
Closing the flue will not limit your combustion, it'll only restrict where all the smoke goes!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
regards
Mutt
ps has your chimney been cleaned recently?

/ Fireplace help
No I did not mean all the way but there is notches like only half open and so on. I was wondering if maybe half open would help.

I think when I was a kid, I was in a house where they forgot to open it and wow was it smokey. :)

/ Fireplace help
Hr
I do not know when the last time it was cleaned. Is it somthing you can do your self and if not what kind of price are we talking about to have it done?