Firehouse mascots

/ Firehouse mascots #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
When I was a kid (in the middle of a prior century), it seemed like every firehouse had a dog for a mascot. Many even went on fire calls.

What happened?

/ Firehouse mascots #2  
Liability? I don't know.

A couple brothers that grew up across the street from us both have their own firehouse down in NOLA. Their mascot is generally the newest hire that is typically related to someone in the house.

He's like a dog, he fetches stuff, gets yelled at for getting on the furniture etc.

/ Firehouse mascots #3  
When I was a kid (in the middle of a prior century), it seemed like every firehouse had a dog for a mascot. Many even went on fire calls.

What happened?

They stopped using horses to pull the wagons. The dogs were there to protect the horses from other dogs.

Man, that dates you, doesn't it? :laughing:

/ Firehouse mascots
They stopped using horses to pull the wagons. The dogs were there to protect the horses from other dogs.

Man, that dates you, doesn't it? :laughing:

Hmmm...

Maybe you too. ;)

/ Firehouse mascots #6  
They don't need dogs now that they have GPS to locate the fire hydrants.

Bruce

/ Firehouse mascots #7  
My Grandfather was a fireman at 20 Engine in NYC. They still had horses, a dog and a steam powered pumper. He was at the Triangle Shirtwaist fire, but wouldn't say much about it, other than they lost a good team of horses from the falling bodies. He retired in 1918 after 20 years with the Department. He did have plenty of stories about the fire horses. Those horses knew their bells and when it was their call, they would get under their harness by themselves. If they didn't think you were moving fast enough they would kick the stall door open.

/ Firehouse mascots #8  
The station I am a member of has a member's dalmatian as our unofficial mascot.

BEVFD.jpg

/ Firehouse mascots #9  
We have a rubber ducky as a mascot does that count? Have one on the dash of each of our engines.

/ Firehouse mascots #10  
Had a Dalmatian at the station I was at years ago. He would jump in the fire truck before the tone was finished. First guy would get in, dog would move over. Next guy would get in, dog would move over. Next guy would get in, dog would get out , he was something!