FIRE ANTS

/ FIRE ANTS #1  

mred2

Platinum Member
Tractor
iseki tl3200, JD 450H dozer, LS XR4150, Genie Z34/22N lift
Anyone have good ideas on what to do about fire ants. I think I have a mound every 6 feet in my pasture. You hay guys in the south have to have something.

/ FIRE ANTS #2  
There are several posts here on TBN regarding fire ants and their control. Go to the top of this page - click on search. When it opens - type in - fire ants - in the line item "key words". This will bring up many threads/posts for your review.

/ FIRE ANTS #3  
I resorted to walking around and sprinkling this on each mound.... I don't know of a good way. Hopefully I learn a better way on this thread....

028221045_1.png

/ FIRE ANTS #4  
I remember years back picking up a load of meat at MBPXL in Texas and parking near a mound and the suckers tried to invade my truck. They are nasty... I moved pretty quick. Diesel is a pretty good deterrent.

/ FIRE ANTS #6  
Big issue here are yellow jackets and they are just as nasty. They will stitch you in a second and I love exterminating them as well. It's a night time thing. They cannot see at night so they are holed up in the nest and along I come with my pump sprayer filled with good old diesel again and let them have it. Don't have to light it, just soak the nest at the entrance and watch them drop.

Had one nest in the side of the house over the deck. I set up my shop vac with the nozzle right by their entrance and when it became light, I turned it on and sucked thousands into the vacuum which I had soapy water in the bottom. Let it run until no more came out and dumped the carcasses in the road out front.

/ FIRE ANTS #7  
Bifen IT. Mix 1 oz per gallon of water.

About a half gallon of the mix per mound.

Bifen is a “persistent” insecticide so as long as it doesn’t rain too much it will continue to be effective for a month or two.

/ FIRE ANTS #8  
I've got dogs & a fishpond, so I try to use as little poison as possible. I'll usually start with a sugar/20 mule team borax mix dumped on the mounds and around them. If they move the mounds too often, I get fed up & hit them with a sprayer loaded with Taurus SC and/or Bifen IT. The sugar/borax works 70-80% of the time, the Taurus/Bifen works 100% for me.

/ FIRE ANTS #9  
Go to YouTube and look up Anthill Art. Link below.

You can start a second career!
My dad put something on them in our yard in about 1980 and they never came back. Couldn’t have been very Enviromentally friendly.

/ FIRE ANTS #10  
Impressive.