Rear Finish Mower Finish Mower - sharpening your blades

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #21  
Be sure to blunt the cutting edge about 1/32 after sharping. Blades will stay sharper longer without a knife edge.

Never heard this before....what is the theory behind it? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I sharpen my gator G6's every spring (on a bench grinder, maintain your margin!), good for the season. Mowing 3 acres every week April thru December (leaf chopping).

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #22  
I'm guessing that making a square edge will last longer than a razor sharp one, folded over, or rounded off.

A good one for Myth Busters.

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #23  
Blunting a knife edge makes the edge stronger, lasting longer and doesn’t roll like a knife edge. Was taught to me as a kid when we hand filed blades. Woods RD7200 owners/operators manual also reinforces this practice. Bush hog blades are even blunter.
I’m sure everyone’s situation is different. We mow from yards, clearings, orchard, blueberry patch, around barns and roadside with the finish mower. Tough on blades.

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #24  
Blunting a knife edge makes the edge stronger, lasting longer and doesn稚 roll like a knife edge. Was taught to me as a kid when we hand filed blades. Woods RD7200 owners/operators manual also reinforces this practice. Bush hog blades are even blunter.
I知 sure everyone痴 situation is different. We mow from yards, clearings, orchard, blueberry patch, around barns and roadside with the finish mower. Tough on blades.

OK, well, that part makes sense....thicker metal is stronger than thinner metal. I don't buy that it lasts longer, in the case of turf grass mowing anyway. And it sure as heck is not going to cut better. There's a difference between the grass blade being "whipped" off vs. "cut" off. If your grass develops a brownish haze hours after cutting, that is evidence of more whipping than cutting.

I suppose if you're cutting rough applications with a strong likelihood of hitting debris, the dull blade theory may be fine. But for cutting quality turf grass, I will have to disagree with this one. Interesting theory, tho...:drink: