Attachments

• Finish Mower Wheel Failure 1.JPG
    Finish Mower Wheel Failure 1.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 73
  • Finish Mower Wheel Failure 3.JPG
    Finish Mower Wheel Failure 3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
   / Finish Mower Replacement wheels #13  
Caster wheels were the weak link on several rear finish mowers. Rough service on hillside farm with a lot of back and forth, roots, rocks, trees, etc.

Eventually replaced the 1” spindles with 3500# trailer axles and hubs. Been trouble free for over 10 years.

Attachments

• IMG_2637.jpeg
    IMG_2637.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 74
   / Finish Mower Replacement wheels #14  
I guess you can use your finish mower to bush hog with if you want to but they aren't made for that rough cutting. Rough use is the issue, not the wheels.

/ Finish Mower Replacement wheels #15  
Our mowing requires a lot of forward and backing. Puts a lot of stress and wear on the spindles. Coupled with 4x4, sharp turning little tractor is best platform for maintaining our many yards. The Woods RD7200 is 24 years old. Sees about 80-100 hours of use per year. Trailer hubs and axles are much stronger and far cheaper than OEM replacement parts. Even with frequent greasing the OEM spindles and spindle bushings wear out quickly. Slop puts added stress when turning increases risk of bending. Saved almost enough to purchase a Hypertherm plasma cutter used on this one modification. Made fabrication super easy and somewhat fun.

/ Finish Mower Replacement wheels
I honestly don't recall hitting anything. It could even have gotten bent after the tire cracked and came off.
I was not mowing anything out of the ordinary, on smooth, level ground. And the front tire never really comes into contact with anything other than a surface tree root, but i wasn't even close to those. I was doing the occasional 2 or 3 point turns.

/ Finish Mower Replacement wheels #17  
It may not be the yokes that are the problem, but that the receiver angle is. Should be absolutely vertical for proper reversing caster action. Otherwise , it can stall in the angle that produces the net vertical receiver angle. Even front to rear angles will/can throw it off. Yes, I know that the blades cut better with a rearward slope, but I'm not bending any yokes on my 4' deck F525, 78" F935, 72" F1435, 84" Woods 7', or my 6' brush cutter, and I jump 6" curbs with them. Sparks but no bends.

I also see a lot of mowers now with cheaper treaded gauge tires. Believe me you want slicks because the 'scrub torque' generated by reversing the caster wheel, is lowest. You want that wheel to swivel as fast as possible (and not tear up the lawn, btw).

/ Finish Mower Replacement wheels #18  
From the time I first used a rear mount mower I have always slightly raised the deck when backing up to take the load off of the rear wheels / spindles. Never had a problem until last season I did slightly bend a rear spindle (mount) when backing over a small stream and into the far bank. As mentioned in the above post, the bad angle now is putting a lot of stress on the spindle and wheel when turning.

/ Finish Mower Replacement wheels #19  
Have you tried Harbor Freight to; see if they
have anything you can use?

willy

/ Finish Mower Replacement wheels #20  
Here’s my solution to the problem. I bought some man lift tires on eBa, I think they will out last me.
IMG_4316.jpeg
IMG_4315.jpeg