Finish mower bagger.

/ Finish mower bagger. #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
Im using alot of compost on my garden and need better way to gather the grass and weeds and leaves from my lawn. I remember back when I was a kid dad had an old snapper mower with a bagger on back. I dont have a rider but I have a 5 foot kk finishing mower. My biggest question is would a finish mower have enough lift to fill a bagger. I replentish the lost nitrogen with manure and weedy compost and comost tea.

I m thinking about mounting my bagger on top of the mowers deck.

/ Finish mower bagger. #2  
No reason you can't fab something up. Generally a finish mower is designed to have some lift in the cutting zone, usually blowing the air either out the back or the sides, this will help a bagger work better. You might need a big fan to help with the bagging and then you'll need a bag large enough to filter the air and not have to stop to empty ever twenty feet.

Mr. HE:cool:

/ Finish mower bagger. #3  
I tried to get my Bush Hog ATH-720 finish mower to blow grass to a trailing cart with only the wind from the blades. It failed and I gave up.

/ Finish mower bagger.
I Renze I cant see where Ill be wasting fuel time and money. I ll have to mow, I have to mow with a tractor and I want the grass for the composting bins for my market gardens.

I dont want it to blow into a trailer I know I dont have enough lift for that. Dad used th have an old Snapper mower that had a bagger on back. It was about 40 gallon capacity lifting it about 2 feet up. I have a special tank that is about the same capacit and really flat. It also has air holes in it. If i can get the grass to lift up 18 inches I might can make it work.

/ Finish mower bagger. #6  
Buy one with a mulching deck. It will turn to compost without waste of fuel, money and time.

A mulching mower will burn a third to half again as much fuel compared to a bagger just to match area per hour. Bagging takes about 5-10% more fuel over side discharge, side discharge being the fastest and using the least fuel of all the mowing options.

There are other benefits to bagging and mulching, it is not only a time or fuel equation.

/ Finish mower bagger. #7  
A mulching mower will burn a third to half again as much fuel compared to a bagger just to match area per hour.
Any numbers to substantiate this claim please ??
For bush hogging tall overgrowth this will be true, but for lawn that is cut every week, i doubt it...

I replentish the lost nitrogen with manure and weedy compost and comost tea.
You could use these nutrients directly on your market gardens without the detour via the lawn.. Even the weed seeds in the compost will get there via the lawn.
But anyways, i understand you want to do this out of idealism...
So, i shouldnt muddle the debate with pragmatics :)

/ Finish mower bagger. #8  
Any numbers to substantiate this claim please ??
For bush hogging tall overgrowth this will be true, but for lawn that is cut every week, i doubt it...

You could use these nutrients directly on your market gardens without the detour via the lawn.. Even the weed seeds in the compost will get there via the lawn.
But anyways, i understand you want to do this out of idealism...
So, i shouldnt muddle the debate with pragmatics :)

I gave you numbers. Are you trying to claim I'm wrong? And yes, these numbers apply directly to a lawn that is cut every week. In fact, it applies if you cut your lawn every day or once a month.

/ Finish mower bagger. #9  
I gave you numbers. Are you trying to claim I'm wrong? And yes, these numbers apply directly to a lawn that is cut every week. In fact, it applies if you cut your lawn every day or once a month.
Not very convincing... who tested it under controlled circumstances ?

/ Finish mower bagger. #10  
I have a bagger for my ZTR and part of the "kit" was a new high lift blade to replace the original blade. It really does work well and that blade also blows the clippings out better when running side discharge. So for a tractor finish mower, I would expect to need different blades and don't know that such even exists.

Attachments

• 2011 Toro ZTR 008.JPG
    2011 Toro ZTR 008.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 1,054