Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off

/ Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off #21  
Local deputy came up behind a 2 guys in a car with a new, large outdoor heatpump unit hanging out of the trunk. Thinking that was an odd way to transport a new unit (still had the cardboard/straps on it), he followed them, and they turned off into a residential neighborhood. He went on up the road, and pulled over....sure enough, they came out of the residential area, and passed him. He followed them to the scrap yard where they planned to sell the unit. Had just stolen it from a house where it had been dropped off for an install later that day, and the homeowner didn't even know it was gone !

/ Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off #22  
Hope this guy gets locked up.

I cant stand a thief.

A little more on the system if you care to share. The vid quality was quite good, better than most home systems.

/ Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off #23  
I've built a few of these type systems in the past. Blue Iris (for Windows) and ZoneMinder (for Linux). Hikvision IP cameras are the best bang for the buck at the moment (in my opinion). If money is no object, Axis and MOBOTIX IP cameras are nice you can do a lot of powerful stuff with inexpensive cameras using Blue Iris or ZoneMinder.

/ Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off #24  
I've built a few of these type systems in the past. Blue Iris (for Windows) and ZoneMinder (for Linux). Hikvision IP cameras are the best bang for the buck at the moment (in my opinion). If money is no object, Axis and MOBOTIX IP cameras are nice you can do a lot of powerful stuff with inexpensive cameras using Blue Iris or ZoneMinder.
What do you think of the Geovision cameras? Looking at getting some of their cameras in at work.

Aaron Z

/ Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off #25  
He was probably back out on the street the following day.

/ Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off #26  
What do you think of the Geovision cameras? Looking at getting some of their cameras in at work.

Aaron Z

Don't know much about them. The only ones I've had personal experience with beyond the brands already mentioned are Vivotek and ACTi.

For the last few years the hikvision ds-2cd2032 3 megapixel ir bullet camera has been hot. People have been upgrading the lenses for cheap and doing some real crazy things with them. Google around this model number and hacks/mods to see what I mean.

I've been pretty impressed with them and plan to have a bunch of them on the new property we just bought once we build.

Have a friend that has a mix of cameras and it is his current favorite too. Make sure you get one from a reputable vendor as I've heard reports there are some grey market hikvision cameras that won't accept the official firmware from hikvision for upgrades etc.

I got mine from Nelly's Security.

I do volunteer IT work (in my copious free time) for a Church/Christian School and we have seen more and more crime over the last few years so we had to install a camera/security system complete with door access etc. to step up our game.

/ Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off
Out of curiosity, is that area lit at night, or was it just lit with the IR from the cameras?

Aaron Z

The area is lit with a 40w LED wall pack. The camera system is a revo system from Sams. Nothing special but was an easy DIY install with decent video. The IR with no light works well out to about 30-40 feet.

/ Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off
let us know if you find out any more.

I am expecting to hear from the Sheriff's department tomorrow. I'll post updates when we get them. We posted the video on Facebook to get some eyes out around town. We live in a town of about 70,000. In less than 12 hours we had a truck location down to the street and block number and the following day had a name to go with the truck. Looking him up on facebook showed he was in prison from 2008-2013. Not sure what for but not someone I care to have around.

/ Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off #29  
I just installed another qsee system with 1080p IP camera's that work great. I've used geovision cards in pc's in the past, it was ok.

/ Finally one for the good guys - Camera install pays off #30  
I've been looking at camera systems for 3 years since I moved from Texas to Illinois. We are a bit isolated, being 1/2 mile off the road. Haven't had any issues....but feel problems are not that far away. This is the year I've got the time and money to do it. Former owner had a security system tied to the phone line, I didn't even have a line installed. Door and window sensors are still it place, thinking I want to activate that too. Anyone point me in the right direction for that?

On the cameras. I want an IP setup. I've been looking at systems....versus putting something together, but really unsure that's the way to go. Former IT guy retired 7 years ago, but I've forgotten more than I knew....however putting together an IP camera system doesn't frigthen me, BUT there can be some aggravation in doing this. My question ...piece it together or buy a system. How much do I save?

Earlier person mentioned Neely Security...I note Amazon beats their pricing...but this grey market thing makes me wonder. I've also noted Supercircuits Alibi systems. Anyone experience with their systems?