Finally building a tower blind

/ Finally building a tower blind #21  
Congratulations on all your progress and Thanks for sharing!!!!!

I'm enjoying your pics and comments, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished blind.

Eddie

/ Finally building a tower blind #22  
jk96 said:
I'm planning on working on the roof this week. My plan was to use metal roof panels but have questions about condensation. Since I plan on using a space heater inside I'm wondering if I'm going to have to worry about condensation on the inside of the roof? Any suggestions on the proper way to install the metal panels and prevent condensation or is this something I need to worry about at all? Would insulating the inside prevent this? Suggestions and tips appreciated. Thanks.

Jeremy

My experience has been to use wood under the metal. The first box stand I build I attached the metal to the rafters and condensation is a problem. One day I will redo the roof on this stand. The last stand I build and have helped a friend build three more using the same plan we used exterior siding on the top and attached the metal to the siding. The next stand I build I will likely put tar paper between the wood and metal.

/ Finally building a tower blind
Congratulations on all your progress and Thanks for sharing!!!!!

I'm enjoying your pics and comments, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished blind.

Eddie

Thanks Eddy. I've got you to thank for finally getting the project off the ground. I've been wanting to build it for the last three years. I was re-reading some of your "over the top" thread and decided to go ahead and get it started.

I managed to sneak out for a few hours this afternoon and work on it. Didn't get as much accomplished today. My wife is starting to find better ways for me to spend my time. I did manage to get the trusses up and most of the purlins in. I think I'm going to take Bucks advise and go ahead and cover the purlins with osb and roofing felt underneath the metal to help prevent condensation. Muzzle loader season opens next Saturday so I'm hoping to at least get it closed up by this Saturday. That will at least give me a week to let things quiet down out there before the season opens. I'll get back out to finish up after the season ends on the 27th.

Jeremy

IMAG0055.jpg

/ Finally building a tower blind #24  
I'm planning on working on the roof this week. My plan was to use metal roof panels but have questions about condensation. Since I plan on using a space heater inside I'm wondering if I'm going to have to worry about condensation on the inside of the roof? Any suggestions on the proper way to install the metal panels and prevent condensation or is this something I need to worry about at all? Would insulating the inside prevent this? Suggestions and tips appreciated. Thanks.

Jeremy

I just noticed this thread. Your doing a great job so far and I am looking forward to seeing the constant progress and ultimate completion. I don't like metal roofing for various reasons but one is noise. If you have a heavy rain it can get noisy inside there. If you saw my thread (I think you meant me when you referred to Eddie and Roberts threads) then you will see I went with plywood for the roof decking with asphalt shingles. I then set ceiling joists and insulated it and put OSB for the actual ceiling. Sitting inside that tower it is very quiet and comfortable. If you do use metal I would still consider putting a wood deck down then a felt paper before the metal. It will help with noise and any condensation.

One thing you will need to look at is when you turn the heat on your windows will condense and fog up. Its an issue I have been dealing with but I have found that a good ammonia based window cleaner helps with the fogging but its something you have to do each time you turn the heat on. I haven't looked for any long term solution to this problem yet. Another issue is with the one sliding window I have is that with all the condensation you get a lot of moisture in the window well that the window slides on. Well, on the very cold mornings that moisture turns to ice and has froze that window shut. Once you kick the heat on it will warm things up quickly and get rid of the that issue but it is something to be aware of. Just make sure you use plenty of insulation on all 6 sides so with your kids (and yourself as well) you don't have to worry too much about noise. Also it heats up quicker. Ava goes with me often and she likes to take stuff to play with and color so occasionally she drops things and I still have the plywood floor (haven't found any carpet remants yet). So the noise is muffled very well with the insulation.

A good staircase with hand rails is a must for the kids and a safe item for the hunter as well. Even with snow on the steps Ava and I have no problem walking up the stairs as there are handrails on both sides so she feels safe and comfortable.

Thanks for taking the time to share your project. Your kids will love going hunting with you if they can move around more, stay warm and dry and just be comfortable out there like they would in their house. I have found the greatest benifit to my tower is that Ava is able to enjoy going with me and looks forward to hunting with me every evening we went. Its been great :)

Hi Robert.

Yes - I was referring to your thread. I enjoyed following it. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions as well. My only thought with the metal roof was that it would be durable and easier to install than shingles. I may give shingles some thought again.

I'm hoping to get back out one more time either tomorrow or Saturday and at least get the osb on the roof and door installed so that it's closed up and will hold a little heat. Muzzle loader season runs from Dec 17th to the 27th so I'd like to be able to use it then. I'm not sure I'll have a whole lot of luck with since the deer wont have much time to get used to the tower but I enjoy getting out regardless.

I did see the 12pt buck I've been after since bow season yesterday. I'd guess he's a 160-170 class buck. He was bedded down at the entrance to the field just inside the timber about 300 yards from the tower. I got out of the truck to lock the hubs in 4wd and jumped him. I hadn't seen him since just before rifle season opened in Nov. so it's nice to see he made it past the orange army and is still in the area.

Jeremy

/ Finally building a tower blind #26  
For the fogging of glass, we used just the normal, no aloe or other stuff, shaving cream.
You can put it on the glass and just rub it in and it keeps it from fogging up.

/ Finally building a tower blind #27  
forgeblast said:
For the fogging of glass, we used just the normal, no aloe or other stuff, shaving cream.
You can put it on the glass and just rub it in and it keeps it from fogging up.

I would think that would make a haze of its own. I will look into trying it though.

/ Finally building a tower blind #28  
Try it on the bathroom mirror before a shower, or just do half a mirror as a test. Paintball masks were horrible with fogging up we used this way back when we first played.

My help couldn't make it this weekend so the roof should go on tomorrow. I do have a quick question. For the facia and soffits, what type of material should I use? I sided the blind with LP Smartside and have some cutoff strips. Any reason I couldn't rip the smartside to width and use it?

Jeremy

/ Finally building a tower blind #30  
I'm not a fan of smartside, but it's better then real wood. I like Hardi, but it's a bit more effort to work with. If you use the smartside, just be sure to paint the edges that you cut really good. If it's not sealed, it will expand when it gets wet like a sponge, and then rot on you fairly quickly.

Eddie