Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it!

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #51  
It's a tractor that will constantly need repairs with little confidence that it will start every time.

Yeah, I have a six year note on my tractor but when I need something done I have confidence it will get it done.

If my son, with no mechanical experience in repairing engines, came to me with this proposition I would give him the same advice.
Amen brother,amen. I've been turning wrenches on gasoline car,truck,tractor and air cooled engines for over 60 years and never felt qualified to tear down a diesel so this might be what i need. I will be following along as people give Rebel step by step on teardown,cleaning,testing,cataloging, micing parts, reassembly and torquing down. Ok I'm looking forward to the project and pledge to be optimistic as long as cheer squad is busy showing Rebel how it's done. If an electrical problem pops up I feel qualified to furnish instructions required to resolve it.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it!
I’m going to have a qualified mechanic come and look it over, and give me an initial diagnosis if possible. I’ll let you all know how it goes. I’ve got a few other things that need done before this tractor, so it will be a little while before I start throwing work and money into it, if at all. The only issue I have is there are some people who are forever pessimists. I need someone to give me an honest opinion and quote. We’ll see, these D239 engines were very popular, so I assumed parts would be fairly easy to come but which is why I took a chance on it. Hopefully I wasn’t wrong.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it!
So the first thing I’ve noticed while looking through the tractor is there aren’t any fuel filters. The entire housing has been removed and I would assume was bypassed. It looks like a line going straight from the back of the tractor (which I would assume is from the tank) straight to the pump I would assume. Why would someone bypass it when the fuel filter housing and filters are such a cheap part? Looking at the manual my only guess is that the “charge pump” is broke and they were trying to use gravity to feed the fuel in instead of the pump pumping the fuel though the filters. I can see where he housing goes, to the upper right of the oil filter, but there just isn’t any housing.

What confuses me is how they really got it started like this. If there was a carb you could just fill the bowl up and run it for a little bit, how could this happen with a fuel injection pump engine?

Thanks!

P. S I got someone from the Red Power forum who can work on these injection pumps who can reseal this pump which is good.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #54  
My 574 doesn't have a lift pump, the fuel leaves the tank runs up to the right side of the engine were the two filters are, then it crosses over the front of the engine and back to the CAV injection pump.
If it becomes necessary to prime the filters or the pump the tractor needs be sittin level or facing downhill with at least half a tank to have enough head to fill the filters and get to the pump.

So idk the reason the filter housing is gone but I can speculate. There are a lot of people who have been replacing the CAV style fuel filters and assembly that have glass bowl bottoms with spin type fuel filters (Someone did this with a 684 that also has a D239 I saw on the Red Power Forum). These assembly’s are pretty expensive. New Holland: HEAD, FILTER, Part # 3132491R1 My theory is that someone did that to this tractor and then before they decided to auction it off they took it off and just routed the fuel line straight through. That’s the only reason I can think there wouldn’t be a fuel filter assembly. Not the end of the world, once I know for sure that this will fit my tractor I’ll just buy one and put it on.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #56  
My dad has one of these and his friend had one as well, my dad is a gas one his friend was diesel. My advice is watch the front axel both my dad and his friend snap a wheel off by turning too quickly too fast on uneven ground, the wheel fell right off they both swap the front axel to something stronger. Just in the video you can tell how much you can crank these wheels and how week the axel looks... I know right now its the least of your worry but just a heads up.

My dad has one of these and his friend had one as well, my dad is a gas one his friend was diesel. My advice is watch the front axel both my dad and his friend snap a wheel off by turning too quickly too fast on uneven ground, the wheel fell right off they both swap the front axel to something stronger. Just in the video you can tell how much you can crank these wheels and how week the axel looks... I know right now its the least of your worry but just a heads up.
Thanks! Yeah I actually think the spacing in the front wheels has caused it to bend a little in the middle chassis on the front.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #58  
So the first thing I’ve noticed while looking through the tractor is there aren’t any fuel filters. The entire housing has been removed and I would assume was bypassed. It looks like a line going straight from the back of the tractor (which I would assume is from the tank) straight to the pump I would assume. Why would someone bypass it when the fuel filter housing and filters are such a cheap part?

First thing to fix. Throw on something cheap/temporary (if you wind up deciding to sell after your mechanic looks her over) ... you can always upgrade the filtration if you decide to keep her. If that's the quality of prior "repairs", you'll want to go over every inch of the tractor to prevent future problems. On the plus side, with no filtration, your fuel in crankcase problem may simply be an injector stuck open with crap from the fuel tank.

First thing to fix. Throw on something cheap/temporary (if you wind up deciding to sell after your mechanic looks her over) ... you can always upgrade the filtration if you decide to keep her. If that's the quality of prior "repairs", you'll want to go over every inch of the tractor to prevent future problems. On the plus side, with no filtration, your fuel in crankcase problem may simply be an injector stuck open with crap from the fuel tank.
Ok, that would be good if that was the case. Do you think this filter will work? https://www.steinertractor.com/ABC4646-Dual-Stage-Fuel-Filter-Assembly?mkwid=|pcrid||pkw||pmt||slid||pdv|m|product|ABC4646|pgrid||cpgnid|17561055818|ptaid||adtext||&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2_OWBhDqARIsAAUNTTE2oCAm3imQ20_npqNDnabbCWPL_NaCmU1jIr4tAdzK7hzj0_Hx_YUaAvq7EALw_wcB

I’m a little skeptical because the oem part number brings up a housing that is over $100 and this one is way cheaper. It says it’s compatible with the 674, but you never know. What kind of adapter will I need for the metal fuel lines to hook up to that?

Thanks

Let me ask you this, I didn’t know anything about this tractor when I got it and left it for about a month with the lever you use to start the tractor in the start position and fuel cutoff valve open. Would that allow fuel to keep coming into the injectors even if the tractor is off? Thus that being the reason there is fuel in the crankcase?