Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it!

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it!
Hopefully you won't have more than $10K into that tractor to get it mechanically sound.

At that point you would have been better off sinking the money into a relatively new tractor.
I looked at tractors that are around 10,000. The only one that peaked my interest would’ve been a 574 with a loader that had 500 hours on a rebuild. I could probably get a rebuild and a loader on a 674 for that price and have 0 hours on it. It all depends on how much work is needed.

Thanks for posting though. It would be borderline probably, but if I could put 10,000 in and have an engine that will last for 30 years I’ll consider myself lucky to get it. $6900 can pay for a lot of repairs on this thing.

Last edited:
   / Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #42  
I truly hope this doesn't turn out to be a case of coaxing op into water over his head. Used tractor dealers recapture their investment in unrepairable tractors by doctoring them then selling at auction. I've been around tractors and livestock since born and my advice for anyone buying either for the first time is pay a pro commission to buy for you. What about having interweb buds furnish expertise one lacks? You don't need to take my word on what a trap froums like this can be. Go to forums dealing in your field of expertise( electrician,cpa,plumber,baker or candlestick maker) and over half advice is bad and much of that can lead to worse outcome than not doing anything at all. I'm not saying online forums are useless. If one knows how to rebuild engines,being able to ask about differences in valve retainers or tricks for timing a pump is great.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it!
I truly hope this doesn't turn out to be a case of coaxing op into water over his head. Used tractor dealers recapture their investment in unrepairable tractors by doctoring them then selling at auction. I've been around tractors and livestock since born and my advice for anyone buying either for the first time is pay a pro commission to buy for you. What about having interweb buds furnish expertise one lacks? You don't need to take my word on what a trap froums like this can be. Go to forums dealing in your field of expertise( electrician,cpa,plumber,baker or candlestick maker) and over half advice is bad and much of that can lead to worse outcome than not doing anything at all. I'm not saying online forums are useless. If one knows how to rebuild engines,being able to ask about differences in valve retainers or tricks for timing a pump is great.
This is interesting, because I’m wondering what could really make a tractor unrepairable? I assumed since it was running the block was ok, and anything else can really be replaced. Is that wrong?

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #44  
Replacement parts like cam,crank,block,head and such can be difficult to find or even unavailable for many older engines. Even when available,market price of any 2 can run the bill up. My neighbor had a MF diesel taking up space in his barn for 5 years while he searched for a rebuildable crank. Un rebuildable and not worth rebuilding are often used interchangeably. I wish you all the success but before uncorking it,at least ask around locally so see if it might be wiser investing in a ready to work tractor rather than gamble on a pig in the poke. If parts are readily available and reasonably priced,it could be a fun project and learning experience,,,,if you can afford to lose the investment and buy something else in the event of failure. Who knows,someone might loan you all the once in a lifetime used instruments and tools but it's better knowing before you need them. There might be a silver lining in the school of hard knocks but few intentionally choose having a second go at it. I bought a vintage bike that hadn't been started in 20 years for $2k knowing parts are almost non existent but could get $1k as salvage and $1k lose wouldn't causes me a problem. Dropped it at a shop,spent $800 and sold it for $16k. Luck? No,calculated risk. The bike had set on display at a sports bar for 20 years and when placed closed,bidders there to buy restaurant equipment didn't give me much competition. Had it been a bike auction I would have dropped out long before savvy buyers even slowed down. Point being a novice never walks away with a lights out bargain at tractor auctions. Them old boys can walk around once and know as much as the last owner,possibly more.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #45  
I think if it were mine I would fully service it and then use it and get it hot for a while and see how it looks after a couple weeks of good use. If the crankcase has an odor of diesel then look further into the why. Some things just do not like not being used and you likely have no idea how long since it has really been worked.
My little Kubota L2550DT with 6200 hours smokes a little blue when it is cold. Purrs when warm. I can live with that.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #46  
I certainly don't see it that way. $10,000 doesn't get hardly thing in a relatively new tractor especially in a 70 HP unit.
If he ends up putting that much into a 674 it will be in very good shape for a lot less then a newer one.
No but $10K could go a long way for a new tractor. I bought my MX5400 new for $32K last year.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #47  
That MX5400 isn't near the tractor the 674 can be, half the HP half the 3 point capacity.
Then on top of that $10,000 isn't even a third of the cost of a smaller tractor.
He has the manuals anyone that is the least bit competent can work on that tractor by following the manuals
and getting a bit of help.
On top of that it's a wet sleeve engine that can easily be rebuilt with minimal machining being required IF needed.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #48  
Replacement parts like cam,crank,block,head and such can be difficult to find or even unavailable for many older engines. Even when available,market price of any 2 can run the bill up. My neighbor had a MF diesel taking up space in his barn for 5 years while he searched for a rebuildable crank. Un rebuildable and not worth rebuilding are often used interchangeably. I wish you all the success but before uncorking it,at least ask around locally so see if it might be wiser investing in a ready to work tractor rather than gamble on a pig in the poke. If parts are readily available and reasonably priced,it could be a fun project and learning experience,,,,if you can afford to lose the investment and buy something else in the event of failure. Who knows,someone might loan you all the once in a lifetime used instruments and tools but it's better knowing before you need them. There might be a silver lining in the school of hard knocks but few intentionally choose having a second go at it. I bought a vintage bike that hadn't been started in 20 years for $2k knowing parts are almost non existent but could get $1k as salvage and $1k lose wouldn't causes me a problem. Dropped it at a shop,spent $800 and sold it for $16k. Luck? No,calculated risk. The bike had set on display at a sports bar for 20 years and when placed closed,bidders there to buy restaurant equipment didn't give me much competition. Had it been a bike auction I would have dropped out long before savvy buyers even slowed down. Point being a novice never walks away with a lights out bargain at tractor auctions. Them old boys can walk around once and know as much as the last owner,possibly more.
Don't underestimate jaxs' last sentence. Yeah, deals can be (and are) found, but usually one off and few and far between. You bought for 1/3rd? the going price for a 70's era 2 wd tractor in a market where everything is selling at a premium. Why is my first question?

I have nothing against buying used or at auction ... If it's still a deal after repairs & i know or can reasonably estimate what the additional costs are. Prior maintenance, abuse, usage are all unknowns. (All my equipment was bought used at auction)

Use your own expertise as a trucker. Is it a deal to pick up a "runner" 78 Pete day cab (no a/c) w/spicer 6+ 4 & iffy air system for 6k (mileage & service record unknown) then you wind up investing another 60k to 70k adding a sleeper, replacing/rebuilding parts, wiring & systems to get her reliable, roadworthy, safe & comfortable enough to use for your purposes? Or would you have been better off paying 50k for a bit newer, recently rebuilt sleeper cab with eaton trans upgrade, new axles, tanks and rubber and a recently passed DOT inspection and service records?

Your call, but that's why I've suggested having a good diesel mechanic look the tractor over before you run down the "classic car" rabbit hole. I used to make a living fixing cars in the 70's. Just because I can fix something, doesn't mean I should. But if I want it? Hell, it's my money & as long as the wife doesn't know the true costs ... it keeps me from pursuing other interests that are more likely to land me in divorce court.

Either way, welcome to the forum & the joys of tractor ownership. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
   / Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #49  
That MX5400 isn't near the tractor the 674 can be, half the HP half the 3 point capacity.
Then on top of that $10,000 isn't even a third of the cost of a smaller tractor.
He has the manuals anyone that is the least bit competent can work on that tractor by following the manuals
and getting a bit of help.
On top of that it's a wet sleeve engine that can easily be rebuilt with minimal machining being required IF needed.
It's a tractor that will constantly need repairs with little confidence that it will start every time.

Yeah, I have a six year note on my tractor but when I need something done I have confidence it will get it done.

If my son, with no mechanical experience in repairing engines, came to me with this proposition I would give him the same advice.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #50  
My 574 is a bit older with a lot more hours on it and it has needed some repairs over the years but it is as reliable and possibly more reliable then many newer tractors. It stays hooked up to my generator trailer when not being used for something else.

When my much newer Branson 8050 lost it's water pump after we got a 38" snow dump, guess what took over the snow clearing,
574 and blower 1.jpg

On top of that no payments